Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Stark Road Gospel Hall Summer Series 2005 Jim C. Vallance July 13, 2005 God’s Self-Revelation: He has spoken (Heb 1:1-2). 1) God has spoken through His handiwork – Creation i) A Look Back …. Outline derived from … Acts 17:23-26 (ESV). _________________________________________________.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1) God has spoken through His handiwork – Creation
i) A Look Back …
“… as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God …”
What is the Geological Record?
… the shape and structure of the earth’s surface.
-- Grand Canyon
Geologists have drawn their own concepts and conclusions …
Charles Lyell and Charles Darwin took it several steps further …
What is the Fossil Record?
Commonly taught … scientific evidence supports the evolutionary process
… the age of the earth has been proven to be billions of years old.
… to believe in Biblical creation is both unscientific and irrational.
Gap Creation=a long time gap existed between Gen 1:2 & 1:3 when the earth became formless and void.
Theistic Evolution=God started the process ... then evolution took over.
Progressive Creation=God created along side of evolution (over long ages) (Creation “days” = “ages”)
Q: How do we know God created the heavens and the earth?
A:“By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.” (Heb 11:3 ESV)
Q: Why then do we need to look back at the historical record?
A: History yields knowledge that is useful, instructive, and available to us.
All knowledge we acquire falls into 1 of 4 categories4 …
Historical / Evidential
1. CONTENTS of the Geological Record6 …
1. CONTENTS of the Geological Record …
2. CONTENTS of the Fossil Record7 …
3. CONDITIONS for Fossilization8 …
4. CONCLUSIONof the Geological and Fossil Records2 …
Mount St Helens - Flood Model9
1. Canyons formed in 5 months – Lava flow cut through 100’ of solid rock and formed Step (700’ deep) and Loowit Canyons. Creeks now flow though each.
2. Badlands formed in 5 days – The landslides carried chunks of ice and snow and buried them in the valley. Deposited hot ash caused water to flash to steam and rapid expansion resulted in explosions producing jagged “rill & gully” effect.
3. Layered Strata formed in 3 hours – Wave after wave of pyroclastic flow resulted in 100+ defined layers rather than expected homogenized mixture. The high velocity flow separated the coarse and fine particles.
4. New River Canyon formed in 9 hours – In 1982, backed up water broke through the recently deposited sediment. The Toutle Canyon is 100’ deep and looks like a 1/40th scale model of the Grand Canyon .
City of Babylon was unsurpassed in greatness and glory.11
• Hanging Gardens (1 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world) -- water was raised from the river by hydraulic pumps.
the Great men …
a Great God …
605 BC King Nebuchadnezzar attacks Jerusalem
597 BC Nebuchadnezzar’s 2nd attack on Jerusalem
2nd wave of deportation (2Kings 24)
586 BC Jerusalem leveled & destroyed with fire / 3rd & final wave of deportation (2Kings 25).
547 BC King Cyrus defeats Croesus of Lydia (1)
539 BC Cyrus defeats Belshazzar of Babylon (2)
538 BC Cyrus defeats Egypt (3)
Israel returns from captivity (1st Wave)
525 BC Israel returns from captivity (2nd Wave)
424 BCOld Testament period ends (Neh 13:4-30)
331 BC Alexander defeats Darius III of Persia
323 BC Alexander dies (age 33) & the kingdom is divided among his generals
301 BC Coalition of 4 leaders take control & divide into 4 (Turkey / Egypt / Syria / Greece)
281 BC Kingdomdivided into 2 (Seleucid / Ptolemy)
149 BC Rome conquers Greece (Battle of Corinth)
63 BC Judea becomes a Roman province
30 BC Roman Empire established (Pax Romana)
26 BCNew Testament period begins (Lk 1:5-25)
4 BC Birth of Jesus
AD 330 Constantine divides empire: East and West
The rationalist Prussian King Frederick the Great asked his Bible-believing chaplain, … "In a word, give me a good argument for the God of the Bible."
His chaplain responded, "The Jew, your Majesty!“14
The history of the Jewish race demonstrates …
The Lord went before them in a pillar of cloud by day, and a pillar of fire by night.
1 From “The Dating Game”, by David N. Menton, Ph.D. (http://www.gennet.org/facts/metro14.html)
2 From “Does the Fossil Record Prove Evolution?” by Noel Chartier (http://accordingtothescriptures.org/creation/fossilrecord1.html?do=add)