threeyearsaftertheirparticipation in the first international symposium
‘Locals’ torn between concerns andpositivismgrowingconfidencebetween the actors, yet lots of questionsstilltobeanswered
Contributors: the locals - Poster for locals’ symposium 2013, translated from Dutch
Impact on Environment
Technology & Approach
- ‘Locals’ representconcernedpopulationaround Remo Landfillwhere ELFM-project is tobestarted.
- So far, population of Houthalen-Helchterenandsurroundings have onlyseennegative impact of waste treatment:
- Waste incineratorat Houthalen (approx. 80.000 Tonnes/Yrsince1984), often subject of negativenewsreports
- LandfillRemo Helchteren (sinceearly 70’s): 18 Mio. Tonnes of filthburried in our back-yard?
- Andnow, anotherunhealthy (or shall we call itinsane?) waste project in our community?
- Worriesandanger concern odour/stench, decliningmobility, unsaferoads, threatsto public health (fine dust, sootparticles,… )
- Diggingit up in open air without protectivemeasures?
- They are notgoingto transport everythingelsewherefor processing, are they?(= mobility infarct + risks for humans & environment)
- Plasmatechnology: fairytale, nightmare?
- Remo is a test case: sowhatifitgoes wrong?
- When is itallgoingto end? Andhowcan we besureof that?(or will ‘someone’ justadapt the permit accordingto the industrialneed?)
- Anyguaranteethat site reallywillbelefttonatureafter 20 yrs?
- Energy balance: worthwhile or sheerscientist’stheoreticalarrogance?
- Hydrogen? Natural gas? Plasma? a BOMB?
- Whatwillthey do with the finalfraction? (plasmarock, fly-ash, unprocessables, hazardous cocktails?
- Independent judging of health andsafety? A SEVESO-site byregulations?
- Duringoperation: 50-100 trucks per day extra on the nearbyroadsfor semi-finished or w-t-m-product?
- + yetagainincomingfreight(high caloric waste, neededfor constant plasma-feed?
- Critized new-to-build highway (throughnatural reserve) absolutelynecessary
- Air, CO2 processing
- Water and soil
- Wildlife, biodiversity
- How do you ‘restore’ nature?
- By cutting down woods?
- Risk for stench
Local Community torn and divided – fierce emotions for and against
What’s in itfor the local community? Andhow?
-nature? When - if at allrealistic?
-energy/power/heat? For whom?
-jobs? How manyFTE’s? what kind of jobs?
-financially? (Town, population?)
Or is Machiels (onceagain) the only winner and the locals get the burden (again)?
-green energy? The tax-payerwill ‘gladly’ invest, but otherswillhappilyharvest the return?
- 500 Ktonnes/Yr Waste-to-Energy = another form of incineration? Exhaust Limits absolute? Detection limits accountedfor? Low enough? Pass = healthy???
- Any studies knownaboutultra-fine dust? Anditsconsequences?
- Baseline Measurement of current level of pollution in the bodies of localpopulation?
- What is the EWS EarlyWarningSystem?
- Which part of populationwillbemonitored c.q. safeguarded? Andthus: whowill NOT be…
Communication & Follow-up
- Will all questions that were raised during locals meetings also be examined and answered?
- Will they also been taken into account and how?
- What is our continued involvement in this project after the Conference?
- How will the population get informed and when?