Overview for Today. Some DefinitionsChanges to the Business EnvironmentOrganizational Responses to ChangeInformation Technology Trends. Some Terminology. Internet, Intranet, ExtranetClient/ServerSupply ChainIS/ITAny other terms that weren't clear?. Something Many Overlook:. Information System
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Chapter 1 IS In the 2010s…
2. Overview for Today Some Definitions
Changes to the Business Environment
Organizational Responses to Change
Information Technology Trends
3. Some Terminology Internet, Intranet, Extranet
Any other terms that weren’t clear?
4. Something Many Overlook: Information Systems are Social Systems
IS change the way people & organizations interact with one another:
E-commerce & Changing Business Models
Social Medial and Instant communication
The Global Village
What are some impacts of the above changes in personal interactions?
5. I’ll let you in on a little secret… Organizations have lots of problems!
6. Changing Business Environment What opportunities accompany our Digital Economy?
Three main categories of pressures that cause organizations to change:
May or may not be directly tied to IS
7. 1. Market Pressures Globalization & Competition (NAFTA, EU)
What special requirements do these create?
Today’s business doesn’t wait for old data
Changes in the workforce
Telecommuters, flexible hours, disabled access
Know more than ever before (how?)
How do we exercise this power?
8. 2. Technology Pressures Obsolescence of today’s products
Gateway commercial for the G5
Substitute products and services
Increasing amount of available information
Amount of information on the WWW doubles each year!
What problem results from the points above? Development cycles, purchase/lease, information overload, access, process, manage data
Development cycles, purchase/lease, information overload, access, process, manage data
10. 3. Societal/Political/Legal Pressures Social Responsibility
What are examples of each?
11. Social Responsibility…
12. Critical Response Activities Organizations try to keep pressures in equilibrium
How often do they achieve this goal?
How long does it last?
When equilibrium cannot be achieved, critical response activities begin
Here are a few… there are many
Can be used individually or in combination
13. Strategic Systems Goal: provide competitive advantage
How can IS increase comp advantage?
Caveat: Sustaining advantage is difficult!
Why is this advantage difficult to sustain?
What are some examples of strategic systems? (AA, FedEx)
14. Customer Focus Providing exceptional cust service
What are potential benefits to org?
What are potential benefits to cust?
How can these benefits be achieved? (Adire)
15. Continuous Process Improvement Small, incremental changes
What are some types of changes?
CPI often has limited effectiveness
What do you do next?
16. Business Process Reengineering Radical change in organizational structure & procedures
What are some examples?
Organizational structure fits the business process
Roles that IT plays in BPR
Increased flexibility & reliability
Rapid, paperless transactions
Reduce time to market (FDA approval)
17. Mass Customization What products are customized?
Why is customization desirable?
How is customization achieved?
18. Business Alliances Within industries
One goal is cost savings
Credit card, airline, & telephone
What do they have to gain?
19. Electronic Commerce Two primary models: B2B & B2C
What are examples of each?
20. IT Trends Ongoing convergence in electronics
Mobile / Electronic commerce
How many countries in the world today?
How many are on the internet?
There are many, many more…
21. The Big Picture… IS impact all facets of busn/society
Speed of impact is increasing
Absolutely critical to understand:
Functions served by IS
Potential applications of IS
How to manage IS
How to avoid failed systems
Tremendous employment opportunities!
22. Important Concepts to Know New Business Models of New Economy
Driving business pressures:
Market, technology, society
How organizations are responding to these changing pressures
Critical Response Activities
Trends in Information Technology
23. For Next Time… Prepare Chapter 1 Minicases
I will e-mail them to you
Start working on project ideas:
Think about different topics…
First Milestone is due soon…