Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
Dr Mphu K Ramatlapeng Minister of Health and Social Welfare Lesotho 3 rd October 2007. Public Private Partnership for replacing the national referral hospital. Background.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Minister of Health and Social Welfare
3rd October 2007
Existing service unsatisfactory due to dilapidated building, over 50years old
- Less expensive to replace than repair
- Clinical service offered is of poor quality for an apex hospital
-The PPP partner will design, build, fully maintain and operate the new public hospital and 3 urban Filter Clinics for Government under an 18 year contract
-The PPP allows Government to shift operating risks of the hospital project to the PPP Partner
- PPP partner will bring operational experience in hospital management
Ministry of Health
-Modern approaches to health management, clinical procedures, medical equipment
-Training for the health sector
-Predictable expenditure – to stay within Government’s Unitary Payment
Training resource for health sector
High quality services for all Basotho
Use current operating budget as a baseline
Suitability, durability, ease of maintenance and minimum life-time cost for the building and equipment
Higher volume of patients and meet GoL affordability
~150,000 hectare site at a new site ; 29,000m2 building, designed for future expansion
M438m/$62.5m (M550m/$78.5m incl VAT) for design, construction & fully equipped for operation
GoL will contract through a competitive, transparent process with a PPP Partner for an 18 year contract of full Design-Build-Finance-Operate
390 bed modern apex hospital for the country
Unitary Payment by GOL in exchange for the PPP Partner providing following –
1. Initial services
- Design, construction and partial financing of the new hospital
-Refurbishment and re-equipping of three filter clinics, initial staff training
2. Operational Services at the filter clinics and new hospital include:
- Non-clinical services
- Clinical Support Services
- Clinical Services
- Private Patients
The Operator will integrate public and private clinical services (amenities being only difference)
3. Managing Referrals and adds-ons for full Oncology unit and other services
- The PPP Partner will assist Government in managing the effectiveness and cost of referrals to South Africa especially oncology.
What is included in the New Hospital PPP? (cont)2.Operational Services at the filter clinics and new hospital include:-Non-clinical services- Clinical Support Services - Clinical Services- Private Patients The Operator will integrate public and private clinical services (amenities being only difference) 3. Managing Referrals and adds-ons for full Oncology unit and other services- The PPP Partner will assist Government in managing the effectiveness and cost of referrals to South Africa especially oncology.
This included the Filter Clinics
- Emphasize primary care and routine outpatient services at the filter clinics
- Fully functioning filter clinics
- Triage – patient management on entry at clinics and hospital
Staff complaints to be addressed include
– lack of supplies, equipment, and training
- low salaries
- PPP Partner is contractually required to have full staffing
- Partner prepared to provide better working conditions
Thank you for your attention !