Hawks Team 3rd Nine Weeks Newsletter
January 8– March 13
- Social Studies News
- In social studies, we will be studying Europe. We will be learning about the geography, environmental issues, climate, natural resources, and population distribution. We will study the cultural characteristics as well as government and economics of specific European countries. The history of Europe will also be covered including European exploration and colonization, WWI, WWII, and the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- Science News
- S6E5.a-j Students will investigate the scientific view of how the earth’s surface is formed.
- Earth’s layers
- Rocks and minerals
- Effects of physical processes (erosion, deposition, plate tectonics, etc)
- Effects of human activity and methods for conserving natural resources
- S6E6.b Students will identify renewable and non-renewable resources and various energy sources.
- Reading and English News
- In reading and language arts, we will focus on nonfiction. This will include a study of propaganda techniques, author’s purpose, citing textual evidence to support a claim, and figurative language. We will study poetry and analyze theme, setting and plot. Our writing will focus on informative and explanatory topics, and we will continue to emphasize grammar skills, vocabulary, organization, proofreading and editing.
Independent and dependent variables
Using ratios to convert measurement units
Area, Surface Area, and Volume
Variability, Distributions, Creation and Interpretation of Various Graphs
Rational Numbers (positive and negative)
Graphing on the Coordinate Plane
Please remind your student to login to MyQ. This program allows for an ongoing review of skills we have already covered and much needed practice.
MyQ can be accessed at home via www.ilearnmath.com.
MyQ id and passwords have been placed in the front of each child’s agenda.
Ex: Student Name; Login ID; Password Please encourage your child to make use of this valuable tool.
Another great site to visit is ixl.com. You can do ten problems a day free of charge….corrects you when you get it wrong! I love this site. Have your student give it a try!
Dates to Remember
1/13 Report Cards
1/20 MLK Holiday
2/05 Progress Reports
2/17 President’s Day Holiday
3/13 Early Release; End of 9 weeks
3/14 Furlough Day
3/17 Students Return
3/20 Report Cards