Go Meat!. Proteins A . There are several thousand types of proteins, each with a different function 1. Muscles and bone 2. Skin and hair 3. Enzymes and hormones 4. Antibodies 5. Cell transport . B. Structure 1. Contain carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A. There are several thousand types of proteins, each with a different function
1. Muscles and bone
2. Skin and hair
3. Enzymes and hormones
5. Cell transport
1. Contain carbon, nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen
2. Monomer = amino acids or peptides
3. Polymer = protein or polypeptides
4. 20 different amino acids
5. All amino acids have 5 main parts
a. amino group = NH2
b. carboxyl group = COOH
c. a central carbon
d. a hydrogen
e. a side group = R
…Covalent Bonds Between Amino Acids
6. The instructions for arranging amino acids into many different proteins are stored in DNA.
7. Mistakes in just one amino acid in a polypeptide chain or protein can have fatal consequences
8. Proteins can have up to four levels of organization:
Amino acids have a specific protein chain.
The amino acids within a chain can be twisted or folded.
The chain may have many twists and folds.
4. If a protein has more than one chain, each chain has a specific arrangement in space.
A + B C