Chapter 6: OUT OF THE FRYING=PAN INTO THE FIRE. 1. Where does Bilbo seem to have gotten to?. Other side of Misty Mts – right to edge of Land Beyond. 2. What is the conversation Bilbo overhears?. * Between Gandalf & dwarves about working for Bilbo or not.
Chapter 6: OUT OF THE FRYING=PAN INTO THE FIRE
1. Where does Bilbo seem to have gotten to?
Other side of Misty Mts – right to edge of Land Beyond
2. What is the conversation Bilbo overhears?
* Between Gandalf & dwarves about working for Bilbo or not
* Gandalf wants to – dwarves not so sure – says he’s been nothing but trouble
3. What does Bilbo suddenly do? What is everyone’s reaction?
* Steps into middle of group
* They jumped – shouted – surprised – delighted
* Bilbo’s reputation increased greatly
BENIGHTED: intellectually or morally ignorant
4. After Gandalf explains what happened to Bilbo, what does he point out? Why?
Must get moving on – goblins will be out in 100’s looking for them
5. What else is pointed out?
* Today’s Thursday – were captured Mon. night or Tue. morning
* Have gone miles – come out thru heart of mts. – now on other side – are too far north – have awkward country ahead – still pretty high up
6. What does Bilbo suddenly realize? What does he do about it?
He’s dreadfully hungry – looks for food along way – nibbled on sorrel, 3 wild strawberries – drank from small mt. stream
MARJORAM: aromatic herb of mint family
7. What happens when they get to the moonlit clearing?
Hear wolves howling to each other – gathering together
8. What proverb comes out of the situation? What does it mean?
* “ ‘out of the frying-pan into the fire’”
* Escaping goblins – running into wolves
9. What does Gandalf quickly cry?
“ ‘Up the trees quick’”
10. What happens to Bilbo? Why? What is Dori’s reaction?
* Got left behind – too small to get up a tree by himself
* Dori forgot him again – can’t always be carrying him – he’s not a porter (gatekeeper)
11. What are Wargs? What do they do?
* Evil wolves of Edge of the Wild
* Circle trees they’re in – 100’s sat in great circle w/ great grey wolf in middle
12. What did Gandalf tell the dwarves the Wargs were saying?
They’re working w/ goblins to trap & catch them
13. What does Gandalf start to do?
Light pinelones w/ goblins to trap & catch them
UNCANNY: having supernatural basis
PINNACLE: lofty peak; highest point
14. Describe the relationship between eagles & goblins. – he’s not a porter (gatekeeper)
Eagles don’t love or fear goblins – swoop on them driving them back to their caves
15. What do the eagles notice about what is going on on the ground?
* Wolves that caught on fire had ran into woods – starting dry forest on fire in place
* Suddenly goblins came running thinking there was battle w/ woodmen – some laughed at what was really happening
* Goblins stomped out fire – except under dwarves’ trees – added leaves & brush to it
16. What does Gandalf do & why? Does it work?
* Tells “little boys” to go away – playing w/ fire will get them punished
* Trying to make goblins angry – he’s not a porter (gatekeeper)
* No – kept on singing
17. What happens as Gandalf thinks about jumping from his tree?
Lord of Eagles swept down & seized him in his talons & flew away
18. What happens next?
Many eagles fly in – scaring away goblins – grab rest of dwarves from trees
19. What happens to Bilbo?
Almost left behind again – caught Dori’s legs
EYRIE: nest of eagle or bird of prey
20. Where are they taken next? Why?
To Great Shelf – Lord of the Eagles want them
PRECIPICE: cliff w/ vertical face
21. What does Bilbo suddenly realize by listening to Gandalf & the Lord of the Eagles?
They know each other – discussing plans to carry them well on their journey across plains
22. What is the Lord of the Eagles reply to Gandalf’s request & why?
Won’t take them anywhere near ppl – will shoot at them thinking they’re after their sheep
23. What else does Gandalf ask for?