PAF101. Week 5:. Monday : Federal, State & Local Government Tuesday : Conducting Surveys Wednesday : Work on Mod 2 Thursday: Government Meeting Presentations Friday : Frontling : Cliffhanger-Preventing the fiscal Cliff. Homework Assignments. Monday : Exercise 3.1
The American system of government is established by the United States Constitution.
There are three separate but equal branches of government.
3 Branches of Government:
Our government is a system of checks and balances.
U. S. Capitol Building
House of Representatives
Sean Patrick Maloney
So You Wanna Be the President?
After you're elected...
“I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
Meet our President
Barack H. Obama
Did You Know...
1. The president tosses the first ball of baseball season!
2. If the president is unable to fulfill his or her duties, the vice president must take over.
3. When George Washington became president at the age of 57, he only had one tooth left!
4. George Washington started as president with a salary of $25,000 per term.
5. Woodrow Wilson didn’t have to go to school until he was 9 years old.
6. Jimmy Carter could read 2,000 words per minute!
The White House
The White House
Let's Tour the White House!
The Supreme Court
Legislative, Executive, and Judicial
2. Congress is made up of __________ and __________.
TheSenate and House of Representatives
3. How many Senators are from each state?
4. Which branch of government includes the President?
5. What is the job of the Executive Branch?
Carry out laws
6. Who is the current President of the United States?
George W. Bush
7. What is the job of the Judicial Branch?
Decide what laws mean
8. How long do Supreme Court justices serve?
For the rest of their lives
America is a democracy.
Democracy is government by the people.
New York State Senator
John J. Bonacic
(R, C, IP) 42nd Senate District
201 Dolson Avenue Suite F
Aileen Gunther (100th Assembly District)
Middletown City Hall, 3rd floor16 James StreetMiddletown, NY 10940845-342-9304
Orange County Government
Edward A. Diana County Executive
Orange County Government Center, 255 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924 | Ph: (845) 291-4000
District 2 - Melissa Bonacic
District 19 - Michael D. Paduch
Take out your copy of the exercises and follow along
Mail or Email
Required contacts = Desired sample size Expected response rate
For example, if you desire a sample size of 250, and you expect a response rate of 40%, the following formula shows that you would need to contact 625 individuals:
625 = 250 .40
Maxwell Manual pg. 37-38