Overview. Motivation and Factors Contributing to ComplexityQuantifying and Entering Complexity FactorsAlgorithms for Computing ComplexityResults, Conclusions and Recommendations. Motivation Ultimate Objective Required New Approach. Existing tools (PRICE and SEER) deficient. They are not configu
1. Estimation of System Complexity Michael Ernstoff
El Segundo, CA 90245
2. Overview Motivation and Factors Contributing to Complexity
Quantifying and Entering Complexity Factors
Algorithms for Computing Complexity
Results, Conclusions and Recommendations
3. Motivation Ultimate Objective Required New Approach Existing tools (PRICE and SEER) deficient. They are not configured to reflect the statement-of-work tailoring often necessary to match scope to budget. (Risk is a separate issue for program management.)
Tools based on regression analysis of history inappropriate. Relevant historical data is too sparse and often contaminated.
4. Motivation Quantifying Complexity is Essential Product Line - Known… that of baseline program.
5. Resource Estimation Process Overview
6. Quantifying Complexity Factor Requires evaluating interfaces What does a system engineer do?
Coordinates negotiation of interfaces between subsystems
Formally specifies and tests subsystem interfaces
Assembles subsystems and verify performance at interfaces.
7. Quantifying Complexity Factors Impact of system decomposition
8. Quantifying Complexity Factors Identifying & Rating Interfaces
9. Quantifying Complexity Factors Rating individual sub-to-sub system interactions
10. Quantifying Complexity Factors Indicating Repeats, Re-use and Learning
11. Quantifying Complexity Factors Impact of Repeats On j-k Interactions
12. Quantifying Complexity Factors Impact of Repeats On j-j Interactions
13. Quantifying Complexity Factors Impact of Repeats and Re-use
14. Computing Complexity Spread Sheet Tool
15. Computing Complexity Representative Worksheet
16. Computing Complexity Adjusting Individual Interactions
17. Computing Complexity Output of spread sheet
18. Application of Complexity Factor Representative Resource Forecasts