ASSESSING THE INVESTMENTS REQUIRED TO ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE IN KEY SECTORS: Experience of Namibia Petrus Muteyauli, Namibia FINANCIAL AND ECONOMIC NEEDS STUDIES FOR CLIMATE CHANGE UNFCCC & UNDP Side Event 11 June 2011, Bonn, Germany. Background.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
ASSESSING THE INVESTMENTS REQUIRED TO ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE IN KEY SECTORS:
Experience of Namibia
Petrus Muteyauli, Namibia
FINANCIAL AND ECONOMIC NEEDS STUDIES FOR CLIMATE CHANGE
UNFCCC & UNDP Side Event
11 June 2011, Bonn, Germany
UNDP global project: Capacity Building for Policy Makers to Address Climate Change (2008-11)
Increased capacity to co-ordinate Ministerial & stakeholder views on climate change and UNFCCC negotiations;
Engage in long-term climate change planning and priority setting via investment and financial flows (I&FF) assessments of key sectors
19 countries participating: Algeria, Bangladesh, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Gambia, Honduras, Liberia, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Paraguay, Peru, St Lucia, Togo, Turkmenistan, & Uruguay
WHY undertake I&FF assessment?
1. For each sector, evaluate investments and financial flows for two policy scenarios:
Adaptation or Mitigation Scenario
2. Cost the additional flows needed to implement new adaptation or mitigation measures (that is, subtract the difference between the two scenarios)
3. Break the costs down across three entities: government, corporations (including NGOs), and households
HOW is I&FF assessment undertaken?
Key sectors selected in Namibia
Example: Energy sector (cont.)
- Energy mix (BAU): Coal-fired power and localised diesel generators
- Energy mix incorporates significant investments in solar and wind power as well as energy efficiency programme
WHAT does I&FF assessment seek to answer?
From a development perspective, what does my country need to do to address climate change in selected key sectors, and what financial landscape will be required to achieve those needs?