1. For a publicity stunt to promote a popular children’s TV show, an entertainment company’s engineers must design a static hoist to suspend Bernard the Boisterous Elephant 20-ft in the air. Determine the tension that cables AO, BO, and CO must be able to withstand to keep 250-lb Bernard from falling down onto his adoring crowd.
2. Determine the force in AB, BE and DE and indicate whether the members are in tension or compression.
DE = 800 N T
DB = 800 N C
CD = 800 N
DB = 800 N
CB = 894.4 N
3. Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the beam. Please notice that the support reactions are given.
w = 300 lb/ft
180 ft lb
4. Given that the tension in cables BC and BD are 5 kN each, find the applied load P at the end of the pipe.
Ax = 0
Ay = 3.33 kN
Az = -4.849 kN
5. Determine the smallest lever force P needed to prevent the wheel from rotating if it is subjected to a torque M = 500 Nm. The coefficient of static friction between the belt and the wheel is µs = 0.4. The wheel is pin-connected at its center, B.
6. Determine the x and y coordinates of the centroid of the shaded area shown below. Dimensions are in mm. [Hint: It is necessary to determine the point where the line and parabola intersect.]
7. The gate shown is 8 m wide. Determine the reaction at the smooth support at A and the reactions at the pin at B. Water has density of 1.0 Mg/m3.
w = 392.4 kN/m
w = 706.3 kN/m
8. Given that Ixy = -12.96 X 106 mm4 determine the principal moments of inertia of the shaded area with respect to the centroidal x-y axes. Also specify the angle from the x-axis to the maximum principal moment of inertia.
Maximum Principal Axis