Ancient Civilizations. The World of Islam. Arabs. Arabs = nomadic bedouins, Semitic speaking people who lived in Arabian Peninsula Hostile surroundings made the Arabs move constantly to continue to feed their animals
The World of Islam
Mosque Of The
Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem:
Ascended Into Heaven
There is no deity except Allah (the One and Only God), Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah.
Celebrating The Last Day of Ramadan
The Road to
Outside of Makkah
Al-Haram Mosque Holds the Kaaba
Be kind to neighbors
Protect widows and orphans
Give to the poor
Muhammad Surrounded by the
Four Rightly-Guided Caliphs
The Meaning of Jihad
1. Jihad against oneself - the daily struggle against evil and temptation in life.
2. Jihad with knowledge - the struggle to use knowledge, particularly from the Qur'an, to fight ignorance and to gain converts to Islam not through battle, but through the power of Qur'anic knowledge.
3. Jihad with wealth - the struggle to give up material wealth for the benefit of Islam, through charitable donations.
4. Jihad with the sword - the physical struggle to defend Islam against harm from unbelievers. Muslims believe that if they give their lives in this military jihad they will be rewarded with eternal paradise.
5. Jihad through righteousness - the struggle to continuously undertake good deeds to please God and benefit humanity.
Ali and Sons
Fatimid Mosque in Cairo