Points for discussion. Independent Meat inspectionCondemnations at abattoirs and Ports of EntryResidue monitoring programUniform safety audit system/NARSAmendments to the ActHygiene Management SystemAuditing team at DAFFGame Scheme. Independent Meat Inspection ITCA Approval for Assignee. Assignee structureIndependent Meat Inspection ForumIndependent Financial Collecting BodyThe Way forward.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. An overview of VPH 2010 Dr. Tertius Bergh
Acting Director: Veterinary Public Health
Department Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries
3. Independent Meat Inspection ITCA Approval for Assignee Assignee structure
Independent Meat Inspection Forum
Independent Financial Collecting Body
The Way forward
4. Independent Meat Inspection Forum 4
5. Mandate of the Independent Meat Inspection Forum All matters arising pertaining to meat inspection service delivery.
Consider and draft duties and functions of the assignee.
Draft and amend the Memorandum of Understanding between the NEO and assignee as required.
Draft and amend the Memorandum of Understanding between the NEO and the financial collecting body (MSMS- Meat Statutory Measure Services) on an annual basis or as required.
Arbitrate disputes between assignee and Provinces.
Arbitrate disputes between abattoirs/ assignee.
Arbitrate appeals by Province/Assignee/Industry.
Consider and amend fees payable by abattoirs for services delivered by assignee.
Condone closure/”stop slaughter directives” of abattoirs not complying with payment of fees.
6. Assignee Structure
7. Independent payment and service delivery
8. Way forward Ministerial Approval
Work shopping with industries
Application to Forum for vetting of assignee and fees structure for different industries
Request to the minister for approval of assignee and fees.
Publication of fees for broader comment
9. Condemnations at abattoirs and ports of entry NEMA Act Compromises the current methods under the Meat Safety Regulations
Call to reduce the amount of condemnations
Salmonella at PoE Irradiation of meat to kill Salmonella
Current possibilities to handle condemnations
Conditionally approved substandard meat
10. Residues Two systems: National monitoring/Export control
Challenges Available budget
Act changes to change national monitoring to control program
Sample taking to ensure effective testing
Options Current industry programs –converted to independent programs
with accreditation of labs to do residue testing
Change in Act 36 to require industry selling products to ensure that slaughter stock has no residues
11. Uniform safety auditing system Complaints about different audits from retailers resulting in excessive payments for auditing bodies
Few qualified registered auditors for primary meat systems (Abattoirs and cutting plants)
Current drive from Consumer Forum-Pick and Pay checklist
NARS-verification of HAS evaluation by provinces to be used as the norm for retailers
12. Act amendments Application to do the changes to the Act current waiting for DEXCO permission
Legal assistance from the industry
Changes to again ensure promulgation of game and crocodile regulations.
Changes to assist in the import/export registration of plant
Independent meat inspection
13. HMS/ Audit team at DAFF/ Game scheme HMS Generic system by RMAA
Process to evaluate generic HMS of the RMAA to give opinion and guidance to provinces.
Could give assistance to ensure that all abattoirs implement an
Auditing- Personnel appointments to be completed by January
- Training program for auditing to be implemented in next financial
Game scheme- In process of final vetting by Legal services and presenting to the minister for approval