About this module. All staff in Auxiliary Services, Duke Gardens, and Marine Lab will be switching from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Exchange Server for email and calendars This is the first of several training modules to describe the process for moving to Exchange, introduce you to the features avai
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Moving From Lotus Notes to Microsoft Outlook Module 1: A Summary of What’s to Come
2. About this module… All staff in Auxiliary Services, Duke Gardens, and Marine Lab will be switching from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Exchange Server for email and calendars
This is the first of several training modules to describe the process for moving to Exchange, introduce you to the features available in Exchange and provide information about using Outlook
3. Topics Covered This module describes the process for moving from Notes to Exchange
Topics covered include:
What information will be migrated from Notes to Exchange
Preparations needed before the migration
What will happen during the migration
What to expect after the migration
This module will take approximately 10 minutes to complete
4. About this module… By the end of this course, you should:
Be aware of what’s to come in the near future regarding the migration from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Exchange
Know what actions you should take to prepare for the migration, including cleaning your Notes mail/calendar file and copying your personal address book to the Notes server
5. Migration Overview Microsoft Exchange Server will be used throughout Duke for email, calendars, To Do lists, and room scheduling, replacing Lotus Notes and other email and calendar systems
You will use Microsoft Outlook 2007 and/or Outlook Web Access to access your email, calendar, contacts and To Do’s, replacing the Lotus Notes client software
Lotus Notes databases, like the Computer Store Configurator, will continue to be available for about one year
6. The Migration Schedule The move to Exchange is being completed in several “waves” starting June 7, 2010 and ending the week of July 19, 2010
7. The Migration Schedule You will receive additional information about the migration as you get closer to your scheduled date to move to Exchange
8. What is Being Migrated? What will be Migrated to Exchange:
Your Notes mail, calendar, contacts, and To Do’s will be migrated to Exchange as long as your Notes mail/calendar file is less than 1,000 MB
These will not be Migrated to Exchange:
If your Notes mail/calendar file is 1,000 MB or higher
NO mail, calendar entries, contacts or To Do’s will be migrated
Notes archives will not be migrated to Exchange or converted to Outlook format at this time. Archives will migrate separately as the process is manual and will require AIS assistance.
You will still have access to your old Notes mail, calendar, contacts, and To Do’s that were created prior to the migration, for an interim period
9. Exchange Mail/Calendar Size Quota There is a 2,048 MB quota in Exchange for all your mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks
Once the quota is reached, no additional mail can be delivered or saved, and no new appointments, contacts or tasks can be added
You should receive warnings as your Exchange account gets close to the 2,048 MB quota
10. Exchange Mail/Calendar Size Quota For the migration to occur, your Notes mail/calendar file size cannot be more than 1,000 MB. We recommend it be 500 MB or less, with no email larger than 5 MB.
This includes everything in Lotus Notes: your Mail, Calendar, Address Book, and To Do’s
If your mail file size is greater than 1,000 MB on the day of migration:
None of your emails, calendar entries,
address book entries, or To Do’s
will be transferred to Exchange
11. Exchange Mail/Calendar Size Quota We encourage all staff to review their Lotus Notes mail and calendar …
for documents that can be deleted
for large attachments that can be saved or deleted
to get the mail file size below 500 MB
12. Reducing Lotus Notes Mail File Size To reduce the size of your Notes mail/calendar file…
Start by looking at the largest email documents
Click “Views” in the left column
Click “All Documents”
Click “Size” in the fourth labeled column to sort your mail
13. Reducing Lotus Notes Mail File Size To reduce the size of your Notes mail/calendar file…
Remove attachments you don't need
14. Reducing Lotus Notes Mail File Size To reduce the size of your Notes mail/calendar file…
Save non-executable attachments to your network drive and delete them from the email
You can leave a note in the email with the location of the file
Or always save files to the same folder
15. Reducing Lotus Notes Mail File Size To reduce the size of your Notes mail/calendar file…
Start by looking at the largest email documents by clicking “Views” in the left column, selecting “All Documents” and sorting by “Size”
Remove attachments you don't need and delete duplicates
Save non-executable attachments to your network drive and delete them from the email
Remove copies of email from the sent folder
Remove older emails that are also included in replies
Remove any email you no longer need
Empty your Trash folder
Do not delete folders without first deleting the mail within the folder
Be careful not to delete all mail from “All Documents” !!!
16. Address Book Migration Migrating your Notes Address Book to Exchange
Your Notes address book is located on your PC’s local drive, while your mail, calendar, and To Do’s are stored on a Notes server
To migrate your personal address book (PAB) to Exchange, it must first be copied to your Notes mail/calendar file located on the server
17. Address Book Migration One week before your migration date…
You will receive an email from OIT ExchangeMigration
18. Address Book Migration One week before your migration date…
The email will include a ‘Copy PABs to mail file’ button
19. Address Book Migration Open the email and notice, do not yet click, the button to copy your address book to your Notes mail file
20. Address Book Migration Click the ‘Copy PABs to mail file’ button on, or before, the day you are scheduled to be migrated
21. Getting Ready to Use Outlook Getting closer to migration day!
Your Exchange mailbox will be created about one week before the migration date
We will provide instructions and help you configure Outlook before the migration date
You will then have an opportunity to get familiar with Outlook
Outlook should not be configured or used to access any other mail accounts or your personal mail
22. The Migration Process The migration from Notes to Exchange will begin after 5 PM on the Friday you are scheduled to move …
23. The Migration Process The address that your email alias uses will be changed so that mail will be sent to Exchange and not Notes. Your email alias will not change.
You will receive emails from OIT email@example.com as the email alias address change is started and completed.
No action is required on your part.
24. The Migration Process Your Notes account will be changed to forward your mail to Exchange
25. The Migration Process
26. After the Migration You will receive an email in Notes and Exchange to inform you that the migration has been completed.
The email is informational and no further action is needed.
27. After the Migration Once the migration has completed…
All your new email will be sent to Exchange
You will use Outlook Web Access or the Outlook client to access your email, calendar, tasks and contacts
You will no longer receive email in Notes
You may continue to view your old messages and old calendar entries in Lotus Notes for a few months
28. After the Migration Once the migration has completed…
Although you can still send mail from Notes, it is strongly discouraged
Any email you send from Lotus Notes will not be saved in Exchange or Outlook
Replies to your email will be delivered to your Exchange email account
29. After the Migration Do not use your Lotus Notes Calendar anymore…
You will receive an invitation in Outlook if another Notes user invites you to a meeting
Any entries or changes made directly in your Notes Calendar will not appear in Outlook
Remove all calendar delegation so others cannot add entries directly to your calendar
Prevent others from seeing your free time in Notes by using the option ‘No one can see your schedule information’
Change your availability: clear all days and times
30. Common Questions Appendix: Common Questions
31. Common Questions Is there a quota for my Exchange account?
What happens if I exceed the quota?
32. Common Questions Is there a limit on the Size of Attachments?
33. Common Questions What happens when I use Outlook to schedule a meeting that includes someone using Lotus Notes?
34. Common Questions I use Lotus Notes for more than just email and meetings. What about the other databases I currently use?
35. Common Questions I currently have access to read/manage others’ calendars. Will I continue to be able to do so?
36. Thank You!
You have now completed Module 1: A Summary of What’s to Come
You may close out of this window.