Unit 8 Punctuation. Tuesday, 13 November 2007 [email protected] Punctuation. Comma Semicolon Colon Dash Parentheses Apostrophe End punctuation Quotation Marks. Comma.
1. Joanna repeated the medium\'s message, "You either must make peace with your brother, or you\'ll be doomed to repeat the same relationship in the next life." 2. "And I tell you, my fellow Americans," the politician exhorted, "the middle class will not bear the brunt of new taxes."
1. I invited Fred Flintstone, from Bedrock; Mork, from Ork; and Roseanne, from Langford, Illinois, to our Halloween party.
2. People flock to Love, Texas; Cupid Falls, Minnesota; Valentine, Idaho; and Heart, Montana to get their special postmarks for Valentine\'s Day.
1) According to legend, the Greek playwright Aeschylus was killed when an eagle dropped a tortoise on his bald head (mistaking it for a rock).
2) Many great writers died before the age of forty (Byron was 36; Nathanael West, Rimbaud, and Robert Burns were 37; Thomas Wolfe and Pushkin were 38; and Dylan Thomas was 39).
3) I told him I absolutely believe in marriage (as a cure for the temporary insanity of infatuation).
1) Angela Merici (1470-1540), an Italian, founded the Ursulines in 1535, an unconventional religious order in which women took vows but lived at home and taught in the community.
2) The Chinese poet Li Po (c.700-762), a "lighthearted winebibber," fell out of a boat and was drowned when he tried to kiss and embrace the moon\'s reflection in the water (Hendrickson 111).
3) The reason there are so many popular bike trails outside of Washington, D.C., is that the land is mostly flat (see contour map on page 6).
4) If your toddler does not sleep through the night there are several questions to ask: (1) Have you developed a soothing bedtime ritual? (2) When checking on your child, do you accidentally wake him or her? (3) Is your toddler afraid of the dark? (4) Is your toddler waking regularly in the night hungry or thirsty? (5) Does your toddler use a pacifier or "cuddly" so he or she is able to comfort himself or herself?
NOTE: for longer title use underline/ italic
Minnie didn\'t like her name. When she was little, playmates frequently called her "Minnie Mouse." They also called her other names ___ "Skinnie Minnie," "Minnow," "Money," and Manny." As she grew older, Minnie felt even more disadvantaged by her name. She felt that other women ___ with names like Mary or Carolyn or Elizabeth ___ were taken much more seriously. She also thought that her name sounded far too childish for a person with an M.B.A. degree and ten years of experience in the business world. What she didn\'t realize ___ while others did ___ was that her name had "staying power." Once others learned her name ___ at business meetings, conventions, or other professional gatherings ___ they didn\'t forget.