Chemistry of Life/ Carbon Compounds. Chapter 10, Lessons 1 & 2. Elements of Life. Biomass is the total mass of all living matter on Earth, which is made up mostly of the elements sulfur, phosphorus, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon, and hydrogen (SPONCH)
Chapter 10, Lessons 1 & 2
The positive end attracts the negative end of other water molecules.
This weak bonding is known as hydrogen bonding.Polar Molecule (cont’d)
1) Which is one of the six elements that make up most of Earth’s biomass?
2) Water is a polar molecule because ____.
A it has a negative charge
B it has a covalent bond with unequal sharing of the electrons
C it has a positive charge
D it has an ionic bond
3) Where do plants obtain nitrogen for cellular activities?
A from the air
B from decaying organisms
C from animal waste
D from nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil
4) Which of the following is the amino group?
5) Which type of molecule is like a flat piece of paper?
6) How many possible covalent bonds can carbon form?