Scientific Method Notes. 8 th Science 2012. Scientific Method Steps. PROBLEM – Puts focus on the purpose of the experiment RESEARCH – Can use formal research methods (book, internet, research or observational study, etc.) or sometimes, only prior knowledge.
8th Science 2012
3. HYPOTHESIS – Can be in statement form or placed in “IF – THEN” format to accentuate the independent and dependent variables. It is a statement that you THINK is the answer to the problem. This statement MUST be testable.
4. EXPERIMENT – Process of data collection; collected data is put into tables or charts. Should be a controlled experiment when possible.
5. ANALYSIS – Scientist discovers whether or not the data supports the hypothesis.
Graphs are used to make calculating and observing data easier to see (Bar, Line, and Pie)
6. CONCLUSION – A final decision made about whether or not your hypothesis is supported by data.
Options: Test again; not enough information to decide; need more research; hypothesis was correct; or hypothesis incorrect. In all circumstances, the scientist has learned SOMETHING about the problem.
7. COMMUNICATE – This allows the scientist to share information and duplicate results or find new information about the same problem.