- I ACT for our Common Future. 3AKA-3BKA. 4AK. 1AK. 3BK. ORF. 1BK. Conservation International. - Environment related texts. - Conferences and Agreements. Climate Change. - Eco Footprint. - An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore). - Invitation of a Climate Researcher.
- Environment related texts
- Conferences and Agreements
- Eco Footprint
- Invitation of a Climate Researcher
- Protection of the Environment
- Former US Vice President Al Gore and
- the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
3AKA - 3BKA
read the full text
- Global Warming Survival Guide
read the full text
- Green Acres
read the full text
Environment related Texts
Little Green Schoolhouse
environment friendly wastewater system
floors made from recycled wine casks
carbon dioxide sensorsadjust the temperature
take a tour
When students and teachers leave school, they ...
shut off the lights
shut off technical equipment
That has cut the school's energy bill by $100,000.
From the 51 things to save the environment ...
... the students of the 3BK chose 11.
In the household you can save a lot of energy by using fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs).
4. Light Up Your City
Cities can save energy - and money - by illuminating public spaces with light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
11. Take Another Look at Vintage Clothes
By buying second hand clothes, you avoid consuming all the energy used in producing and shipping new ones.
Open a window instead of running the air condition. Adjust the thermostat a couple of degrees higher (summer) and lower (winter). Insulate your walls and ceilings. Use the dishwasher only when it's full. Install low-flow showerheads. Wash your clothes in warm instead of hot water. Turn down the thermostat on the water heater.
24. Just Say No to Plastic Bags
They are made of polyethylene and can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade.
26. Plant a bamboo fence
It grows quickly and absorbs more CO² than many other plants.
Eco-friendly makeup is packaged in a biodegradable tube. The market for these products is growing.
35. End the Paper Chase
Each ton of recycled paper saves 4,000 kW-h of energy, 7,000 gal. of water and 17 trees. One tree has the capacity to filter up to 60 lbs. of pollutants from the air.
39. Make Your Garden Grow
Use old-fashioned compost instead of artificial fertilizers.
A tree can absorb up to a ton of carbon dioxide. This works best in warm areas.
50. Be aggressive about passive
In a passive house the heating costs are 90% lower than in a conventional house. Extra insulation and state-of-the-art ventilation recycle the energy from passive sources such as body heat, the sun and household appliances to warm the air.
- 60 tidy homes
- passive solar design
- price: US $300,000
- waiting list
- ecological impact is 40% smaller than that of conventional houses
- this helps residents recude their environmental footprint
- residents hold lectues at
- Austrian meteorologist
- PhD in 1971
- habilitation in 1982
- head of the department of environmental meteorolgy from 1986 to 1995
- o. Univ. Prof. at the University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences since 1995
- Awards: Konrad Lorenz Prize (1991)
Scientist of the Year (2005)
Students of various classes drafted questions for Prof. Kromp-Kolb concerning
- the effects of climate change on the situation in Austria
- the rise of the sea levels
- the efficiency of energy saving light bulbs
- the efficiency of solar panels
- the oil resources of the Earth
- reasonable alternatives of a car run by fossil fuels
- the chances to reach the goals of international agreements (e.g. Kyoto Protocol) without contributions from the US and China
try to eat as many organic food from local producers as possible
a well insulated house is easier to heat; solar panels help to heat water environment friendly
with energy saving equipment you can protect the environment while doing your laundry, cooking, freezing, dishwashing, ironing and vacuum cleaning
turn off your TV and PC when you do not use them
drive a smaller car, take the tube instead of a taxi, for shorter distances take the train instead of the plane
- Washington Declaration (2007)
- 33rd G8 Summit communiqué (2007)
- Vienna Climate Change Talks and Agreement (2007)
International Conferences and Agreements
- United Nations Climate Change Conferences