Text I of Unit 5 (Book II). Friends For Life 终生至交. If you want one, be one. = If you want a friend, try to be a friend to others. “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson 爱默生 (1803—1882 American poet, essayist). Para. 1
Friends For Life
= If you want a friend, try to be a friend to others.
“The only way to have a friend is to be one.”
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
爱默生 (1803—1882 American poet, essayist)
1. Even though “friend” is a term of endearment used to describe many people in our lives, we often have a hard time knowing what the term means.
= Even if “friend” is a term of endearment which (that ) is used to describe many people in our lives, we often have a difficult time in knowing what the term means.
2. identify … as 把…确定为
to recognize or to name…as
The word “as” here is a prep. (介词）。
3. confide in
If you confide in someone, you tell them about a private problem or some other secret matter because you trust them not to tell anyone else about it.
1. In our transient cultures, we depend more on friends for things we once got from families.(compound sentence 复合句）
= In our changing cultures, we depend more on friends for things that we got from families.
The things here mainly means emotional support and often even financial help.
2. With so many people living away from their families, friends provide essential companionship.
= As there are so many people living away from their families, friends provide basic partnership (friendship).
= As so many people live away from their families, friends provide basic partnership (friendship).
With friends provide essential companionship. 跟带现在分词的复合结构
1) The day was bright, with a fresh breeze blowing.
2) I won’t be able to go on holiday with my mother being ill.
3) With spring coming on, it’s time to go sighseeing in the countryside.
4) Patrick soon fell asleep with the light still burning.
5) Meanwhile, with the price of gold going up, South Africa’s economy was good.
With friends provide essential companionship. 跟带过去分词的复合结构
1) All the afternoon he worked with the door locked.
2) She sat with her head bent.
3) Patricia sat in a chair with her hands folded.
Para. 4 friends provide essential companionship.
=Since he died, my sister has become one of my best friends. I fought fiercely with her when we were younger.
2. And I’m very close to my only daughter, Lisa.
Please pay attention to the pronunciation of the word “ close”.
3. Friendship ranks with marriage and kinship as one of the most important relationships in our lives.
= Friendship ranks as one of the most important relationships in our lives with marriage and kinship.
rank as: 可算作，把…看作
1) He ranks as one of outstanding presidents of our time.
2) London ranks as one of the world’s largest cities.
3) Many people rank Ba Jing (巴金）as a great writer.
4) Yao Ming ranks among the world’s best basketballers.
Para. 7 most important relationships in our lives.
= Many people have been making friends since we were children.
2. Then we find that the heart of friendship requires more attention and skill than we thought.
That introduces an object clause.In this object clause there is another clause.
Than introduces an adverbial clause of comparison.
Then we find that the heart of friendship requires more attention and skill than we thought the heart of friendship required attention and skill.
Para. 8 most important relationships in our lives.
1. Becoming friends involves a process of sharing.
Becoming friends is a gerundial phrase 动名词短语
Sharing here is a gerund.
= If you want to become a friend of others, it really involves a process of sharing.
…”what partners reveal to each other about themselves.” What kind of clause is it?
It is an object clause (宾语从句，作介词over 的宾语）
… a gradual relaxation of most important relationships in our lives.vigilance over ….
vigilance: alert watchfulness
Looking after young children requires constant vigilance. You never know what would happen next.
“involve” here means “need”
b. The job invovled me / my staying in Singapore for a month.
2. Friends must learn to most important relationships in our lives.balance the inclination to be open with the need to be protective of each other’s feelings.
Paraphrase: Friends must learn to keep a balance between the tendency to be open and the need to protect each other’s feelings.
句中的两个不定式短语 to be open 和 to be protective of each other’s feelings 都作定语，分别修饰其前的名词inclination 和 need
3. A best-friendship gets out of balance when the intensity becomes too one-sided.
Paraphrase: Friendship between best friends will lose balance and suffer if there is too much disclosure or too much protection of each other’s feelings.
Total disclosure is not the thing that makes intimacy in a relationship.
Para. 9 becomes too one-sided.
Increasing numbers of people are finding that gender doesn’t matter when it comes to friendship, as the sexes mingle more often today.
As introduces an adverbial clause of reason.
Paraphrase: More and more people are finding that gender is not important when they talk about friendship, for the male and the female can get in touch with one another more easily and more often.
Para. 10 becomes too one-sided.
(=just as I would work on the assembly line with other colleagues.)
Here “ as “ introduces an adverbial clause of manner. (方式状语从句）
2. And she kept pointing out how becomes too one-sided.patronizing I was, offering to do the work for her because I felt she was less capable.
patronizing (adj.) : Someone who is patronizing speaks or behaves towards you in a way which seems friendly, but which shows that they think that they are superior to you in some way ; used showing disapproval
自视高人一等的 becomes too one-sided.,太自以为是，
Don’t be so patronizing---I’m not a child any more. I know just as much about it as you do.
Here “ pointing out “ is gerund, used as object.
Here “offering…..” is used as adverbial ,attending circumstances.（作伴随性状语）
Para.11 becomes too one-sided.
This sentence is structured in an inverted order （倒装句）
The normal sentence order should be:
“ I had learned what I knew about women from my father.”
The inversion (倒装）gives emphasis to “ what I knew about women”.
Was there any problem in Michael’s relation with his girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
Yes. It can be infurred (推测）that Michael had some problem with his girlfriend before he met Marcia. The problem stemmed from his out-of-date knowledge about women and his patronizing attitude.
2. I was a generation girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?behind the times.
“ behind the times” 过时，跟不上时代，落后
The science books of thirty years ago are behind the times now.
3. Now I’m married to the girlfriend I had when I met Marcia.
Now I’m married to the girlfriend. I once had the girlfriend when I met Marcia.
Now I’m married to the girlfriend whom (that / who) I had when I met Marcia.
她结婚了吗？ girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
Is she married?
Has she got married?
Is she married to a Chinese American?
Has she got married to a Chinese American?
杨振宁与翁帆夫妇 girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
3. And I am girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ? indebted to her for that.
= And I am very thankful (grateful) to her for that.
= And I am full of gratitude towards her.
The book is worth reading.
= It is worthwhile to read the book.
2. shrug one’s shoulders 耸肩
3. straighten out girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
Para.13 girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
…and it means a lot to me.
b. Ten dollars would mean a lot to me at that critical（重要的） moment.
He died a day or so later.
= He died about a day later.
Para.15 girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
I take them,… on adventures all over the world.
e.They are passing through London on their honeymoon.
Homework girlfriend? Where did the problem stem from ?
1. This is an expository writing （说明文）。Please retell the essay in your own words.
2. Finish the exercises.
3. Preview Unit 7