The Creed: What We Believe and Why It Matters. 2. What the Creed is and What It Does. Sunday, January 23, 2005 10 to 10:50 am, in the Parlor. Everyone is welcome!.
2. What the Creed is and What It Does
Sunday, January 23, 2005
10 to 10:50 am, in the Parlor.
Everyone is welcome!
- Common Prayer, p. 385
The Creed. What Christians Believe and Why It Matters, Luke Timothy Johnson, Doubleday, 2003, ISBN 0-385-50247-8
The Creed is a statement of personal and communal commitment.
The Creed provides a “ruler” to measure Christian identity, in particular:
1. a measure to guide interpretation of our defining sacred scriptures,
2. a measure to help judge what is a Christian lifestyle
The Creed provides the boundaries of Christian belief and therefore of the Christian Community
The Creed provides:
- a symbolic description of Ultimate Reality
- a symbol or token of the faith of the Christian Community proclaiming the truth of that Ultimate Reality