Chapter 22 “Hydrocarbon Compounds”. Pre-AP Chemistry Charles Page High School Stephen L. Cotton. (C 4 H 10 ). Section 22.1 Hydrocarbons. OBJECTIVES: Describe the relationship between number of valence electrons and bonding in carbon . Section 22.1 Hydrocarbons. OBJECTIVES:
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Chapter 22“Hydrocarbon Compounds”
Charles Page High School
Stephen L. Cotton
C-C-C C-C-C-C etc.
1. Longest C-C chain is parent
2. Number so branches have lowest #
3. Give position number to branch
4. Prefix (di, tri) more than one branch
5. Alphabetize branches (not prefix)
6. Use proper punctuation ( - and , )
- Page 699
1. Find the parent, with the -ane
2. Number carbons on parent
3. Identify substituent groups (give lowest number); attach
4. Add remaining hydrogens
- Page 700
(CnH2n-2) -C C-
Structural Isomers of Butane, C4H10
1.trans configuration - substituted groups on opposite sides of double bond
2. cisconfiguration - same side
Substituted groups are on opposite sides of the double bond (in this case, one is above, the other is below)
Substituted groups are on the same side of the double bond (in this case, both are above)
Optical Isomers, and these will each show an asymetric carbon (4 different branches attached)
The asymetric carbon
1. Peat- soft, fibrous material much like decayed garden refuse; high water content. After drying will make a low-cost, smoky fuel
2. Lignite- peat left in the ground longer, loses it’s fibrous texture, and is also called brown coal
3. Bituminous, or soft coal- formed after more time; lower water content, higher C content (70-80%)
4. Anthracite, or hard coal
Dragline used to remove the overburden of a strip mining coal field near West Mineral, Kansas.
Note the size of the man standing next to it.
End of Chapter 22