Unit 6 Man and Animals. Learning ObjectivesTo get some knowledge about animals and to know more about English cultureTo learn some idioms and expressions related to animalsTo grasp some new words and try to use these words to enrich students' vocabulary. To review the grammar: subjunctive mood
2. Unit 6 Man and Animals Learning Objectives
To get some knowledge about animals and to know more about English culture
To learn some idioms and expressions related to animals
To grasp some new words and try to use these words to enrich students’ vocabulary
3. To review the grammar: subjunctive mood and inversion
To learn some translation skills about Subjective Clause, Objective clause
4. Part One Preparation 1. Work in groups. Try to list as many animal names as possible and the group who gets the most animal names wins.
You may begin with the 12 animal signs in the Chinese horoscope:
5. Animal signs in the Chinese horoscope
6. Animal signs in the Chinese horoscope Rat,
Ox/ Bull / Buffalo,
Rabbit / Hare,
Pig / Boar
7. some other animal names
ant, antelope, bat, bear, bee, bird, bull, butterfly, dragonfly, camel, cat, chicken, cow, crab, crocodile, cuttlefish(??), deer, dog, dolphin, donkey, duck, horse, koala, kangaroo, leopard, lion, lizard, mandarin duck, monkey, mosquito, mouse, mule, ox, panda,
8. parrot, peacock, penguin, pig, pony, rabbit, rat, rhino(??), scorpion(?), sea lion, shark , sheep, shrimp, lobster, snail, snake, spider, squirrel, swallow, tiger, tortoise, turtle, weasel(???),whale, worm, zebra, skunk(??), giraffe, etc.
9. 2. Name idioms or expressions related to animals horse
as strong as a horse
a willing horse
The horse’s mouth cannot fit the cow’s head
You can pull the horse to the river, but you can’t make it drink.
A starved camel is still bigger than a horse
A running horse needs no spur.
Hair by hair you will pull out the horse’s tail.
a lucky dog
rain cats and dogs
Each dog has his day
Barking dogs don’t bite
lead a dog’s life
a dog in the manger
Let sleeping dogs lie
Love me, love my dog
kill two birds with one stone
An early bird catches the worm.
A bird in the bush(??????,???????)
A bird in the hand(??????,???????)
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Birds of a feather(???????,???????)
Birds of a feather flock together.
Eat like a bird.(????)
beard a lion in his den(????)
an ass in a lion’s skin(????)
a lion in the way
13. sheep and wolf
a wolf in sheep’s clothing
separate/tell the sheep from the goat
the sheep and the goats
a lost sheep
14. Rise like a phoenix from the ashes
fish in troubled waters
If water is noisy, there are no fish in it. ????????(???????????)
A leopard can’t change its spots
15. a book worm
a toad hankering for a taste of swan
have (there is ) a butterfly in the stomach
When the cat is away, the mice will play
16. as--- as ---
as timid as a rabbit (hare)
as blind as a bat
as obstinate/stubborn as a mule
as poor as a church mouse
as cunning as a fox
as stupid as an ass
17. as--- as ---
as busy as a bee
as graceful as a swan
as close as an oyster
As proud as a peacock
chatter like a magpie
18. Part Two Reading-Centered Activities 1. pre-reading questions
2. text structure
3. difficult sentences ( grammar: subjunctive mood, inversion)
19. Part Two Reading-Centered Activities 1. pre-reading questions
1). When are animals aggressive?
Animals are aggressive when they are frightened, when they want to protect their young, when they are attacked or hurt, and when they are put in a corner or a small space.
20. 2). What will man do if they live in crowded cities?
People may behave aggressively toward each other.
21. 3). What is the possible solution for man’s hostility and aggression?
The encouragement of competition in all possible fields would diminish the likelihood of people’s aggressive behavior. When people take parts in international competitions in sports or for the best designed house, or the safest car, they can channel their aggression into non-violent competition and constructive activity.
22. While-reading 1). analyze the structure of the text
2). compare human aggression and animal aggression
3). summarize the text
4. study and analyze some different sentences
23. Text Structure 1. Introduction (Para. 1)
Man must be the most aggressive and cruel of all living creatures.
2. The comparison of aggression in animals and human beings (Para. 2-4)
An animal may show abnormal aggressiveness in abnormal conditions. (Para. 2)
B. Human aggression. (Para. 3)
C. The reasons for human aggression. (Para. 4)
24. 3. Solutions to the problem (Para. 5)
Only if hostility and aggression can be expressed in constructive activity and non-violent competition, will the human race be able to survive.
25. Detailed Reading A Comparison of Animal and Human Aggression
26. Summary of the in-class reading Man must be the most of all living creatures.When an animal is intruded, it will only to warn off the intruders. It ‘s only in conditions that an animal may show . Modern men living in crowded cities are to caged lions.So it is not surprising if men to each other. However, aggression in itself is a bad thing.It’s basic that must be .Only if hostile emotions like and can find
in and competition, will the human race be able to .
27. Summary of the in-class reading Man must be the most aggressive and cruel of all living creatures.When an animal is intruded, it will only perform some hostile gestures to warn off the intruders. It ‘s only in abnormal conditions that an animal may show abnormal aggressiveness. Modern men living in crowded cities are compared to caged lions.So it is not surprising if men behave aggressively to each other.However aggression in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.It’s a basic human instinct that must be satisfied. Only if hostile emotions like hostility and aggression can find expression in constructive activity and non-violent competition, will the human race be able to survive.
42. Otherwise: in a way that is different from what has been mentioned ???, ?????,??????, ?? e.g.
--- The government claims that the economy is improving, but this survey suggests otherwise.
--- All the photographs are by the author unless otherwise stated.
--- There is no way anything would ever happen between us, and believe me I’ve tried to convince myself otherwise.
43. Compare …to… ??“?…??…?”????, ???“?…?…??”, ??compare…with…??
--- He compared London to/with Paris.
--- It was a very small place then compared to/with it is now.
--- Children seem to learn more interesting things compared to/with when we were at school.
44. in itself, by itself, to itself, of itself in itself: ??
The plan wasn’t illegal ~ but it would lead to some doubtful practices.
by itself: ???( alone), ???(without help)
The animal had been left in the house ~.
The door opened ~.
to itself: ??? not shared with others
This idea deserves a chapter ~.
of itself: ???, ???, spontaneously, without external force
- The light went out ~.
65. Useful Expressions A violent man
A territorial animal
Perform hostile gestures
Warn off the intruder
Make a gesture of submission
Show abnormal aggressiveness
66. In the customary way
In cages /in the wild
On the grassy plains
In family groups
Be better fed and cared for
Lack of companion
Compare modern man to a caged animal
Channel aggression into creative work
67. Have more space and freedom
In prehistoric times
In a single office-building
A basic human instinct
Satisfy this instinct
Turn to constructive means
Alternative , non-violent ways/means
68. Centralized and remote authority
A self-employed craftsman
Master of one’s own trade
Produce high quality goods
Be absorbed in a vast organization
Mechanical work /routine work /creative work
An accumulation of hostile emotions
69. Large –scale impersonal warfare
Figures on a chart
Improve the situation
Encouragement of competition
Diminish the likelihood of war
Organize international competition
70. The ritual conflicts of animals
Hostility and aggression
Enormous amount of money
The space race
Through resentment and anger
71. Post reading Finish doing the vocabulary and translation exercises
72. Key to vocabulary on P254 3.
1) survive 2) conflict
3) available 4) likely
5) injuring 6) absorbed
7) competition 8) instinct
9) hesitated 10) similar
73. Key to vocabulary on P256 4.
ensure, population, characteristic ,
exhibit, defense, familiar, territory,
case, minute, aggressive
74. Key to translation on P256 She always behaves badly when her aunt comes to visit.
If it hadn’t been for your help, we wouldn’t have been able to finish the task in time.
I warned him off going to the east coast because it was full of tourists.
The fact that something is cheap doesn’t necessarily mean it’s of low quality. ( The cheap thing is not necessarily of low quality.)
75. Key to translation 5. Without someone/ anyone to turn to for help, making the most appropriate choice can be difficult.
(If there is no one to turn to for help, it will be difficult to make the most appropriate choice)
6. His sadness at the death of his wife found expression in his music.
7. Only if Peter goes to the evening party will she go.
8. I can only compare the experience to a nightmare.
76. Part three Further Development 2. Do you know what these animal proverbs mean?
1) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
--- It is risky to sacrifice one thing or accomplishment which has been attained, for the uncertain hope of gaining more.
2) It’s the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.
--- When one is close to one’s limits ( of strength, tolerance, endurance, patience, etc.), an otherwise insignificant thing can surpass these limits and cause disaster.
78. 3) Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
---One cannot rely on expectations or assumptions; it is better to rely only on what is certain.
4) Curiosity killed the cat.
---Too much curiosity can cause one to abandon caution and encounter unseen danger.
79. 5) Let sleeping dogs lie.
---Don’t stir up trouble when all is calm.
6) There are plenty more fish in the sea.
--- Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get the one you want---others are available.
80. 7) What’s good for the goose is good for the gander(??).
---people should be treated equally, regardless of their gender.
8) Don’t change horses in the middle of the stream.
--- Changing one’s mind in the middle of a task or event will cause more problems than if the task/event had been thought through beforehand.
81. 9) It’s too late to close the stable door after the horse has bolted(??).
---It’s too late to protect yourself after something bad has happened; take appropriate precautions.
10) You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.
--- One may suggest something to another, but cannot force the other to do what he does not wish to do.
82. Topics for discussion Should We Raise Pets in the Dormitory?
2. Some people think that killing animals for food is cruel and unnecessary while others argue that animal meat is essential for people’s daily lives. Discuss this topic in both sides and give your opinion.
3.Nowadays live animals are used in scientific research. Some people think it is very cruel and unnecessary. However others believe that it is justified in the interest of the human beings. Please discuss on both sides.
87. Assignment 1 Finish reading After-class Reading Passages and think about the following questions:
What do dolphins do to help the navy?
What are the reasons offered by the cons and pros for the training of dolphins?
Find all the sentences used to express controversy.
What can animals do for us?
How can we make them do these?
88. Assignment 2 1. Writing
Directions: Write a composition on the topic: Should Animals Be Trained to Help Humans? Your composition should be no less than 120 words according to the outline given below in Chinese:
2. Preview Unit7 and think about the following questions:
89. Assignment 1) list as many words related to travel as possible
2) Where would you like to go for a travel if you are offered an opportunity and why?
3) Suppose you are a tour guide who is asked to introduce one of the places of interest in China, how would you do it? ( You may choose one from the following: the Great Wall, the Tai Mountain, the West Lake, the Oriental Pear TV Tower, Summer Palace, the Forbidden City, terracotta Warriors, etc.)