Population. Population Ecology Is concerned with changes in population size and the factors that regulate populations over time. European starling. 0. The Spread of Shakespeare’s Starlings The European Starling Has become an abundant and destructive pest in North America. 4.0. 3.8. 3.6.
Is concerned with changes in population size and the factors that regulate populations over time
Density of females
Multiple factors may limit population growth
Human population size (billions)
The human population has been growing almost exponentially for centuries, standing now at about 7 billion
1. Establish and/or strengthen family
2. Use social progress to reduce the
desire for large families by providing
education, raising the status of
women, and reducing child mortality rate.
3. Delay the onset of childbearing by
five years and wider spacing of births.
A river in northeast Ohio, USA, into which industries around Cleveland dumped oily wastes, and which has literally caught fire on numerous occasions.
The most serious fire occurred on 23 June 1969, and that event triggered a series of important pollution control initiatives including the Clean Water Act (1972) and the Great Lakes water quality agreement, and the creation of federal and state environmental protection agencies.
1. Heavy use of fertilizers and pesticides contribute to water pollution, and pesticides kill off beneficial soil organisms.
2. Generous irrigation by river water will dump a heavy concentration of salt back into the river. The salt content of the Rio Grande River in the Southwest is so high that the government has built a treatment plant to remove the salt.
3. Excessive fuel consumption for water pumps and large farming machines.
4. Loss of land quality. Evaporation of excess water can leave behind excess salt, making it unsuitable for the growth of more crops.
Overpopulating Mother Earth
Population and Pollution in China, 2 mins
Seven Billion and Counting, 4 mins
China’s Population Problems, 7 mins
Overpopulation, 7 mins
Land, Air, and Water Pollution, 7 mins
Air Pollution, 5 mins
Ocean Plastic Pollution, 11 mins
Ocean Pollution, 27 mins
Pollution in China, part 1, 14 mins
Pollution in China, part 2, 14 mins