How Stress Affects Our Eating. Seminar Goals. Recognize the cues that trigger poor eating choices. Understand the five challenges to nutritious eating. Learn coping strategies you can put to use for better nutrition and to lower stress. Cues that Trigger Poor Nutritional Choices.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
How Stress Affects
Christmas vacation with out-of-state relatives
The dessert tray “ceremony” at your favorite restaurant
“I’m 40, my best years are past.”
Anxiety, disappointment with self
Moving day, a new job, taxes due
Social Eating Cues--
Examples: Family Reunions. The Office Party.
1. Often there is not a lot to do besides eat in certain social settings. Others may be strangers, relaxing or watching TV
2. All of us want to belong, to participate, to fit into fun social settings. Food and drink are often used to do just that.
3. Peer pressure to eat in certain settings can be enormous.
Three effective social coping
Situational Eating Cues--
Examples: Bad news. The Cruise.
1. We seek comfort in times of loneliness or crisis.
2. We try to avoid negative feelings that accompany hearing bad news or major disappointments.
3. We feel entitled to a little reward, e.g. on vacation or walking by a pastry shop in the middle of a stressful day.
Three effective situational coping strategies—
Effect of Negative Thoughts on our Eating—
The Cycle of Automatic Eating:
Beating the Cycle: Two Solutions—
Examples of Common Thoughts Which Lead to Negative Emotions--
Avoid Negative Moods by Challenging Your Negative Conclusions--Ask Yourself...
Do you know your nutritional “stress style”?