Outdoor Leadership AS 91498 (3.1) 4 credits. Evaluate physical activity experiences to devise strategies for lifelong well-being. What is Physical Activity?. Sport NZ has defined physical activity as “Movement that people need on a daily basis to sustain a healthy life” SPARC 2004
Outdoor LeadershipAS 91498 (3.1) 4 credits
Evaluate physical activity experiences to devise strategies for lifelong well-being
What is Physical Activity?
Sport NZ has defined physical activity as “Movement that people need on a daily basis to sustain a healthy life” SPARC 2004
Ministry of Health – “Any bodily movement produced by skeletal muscles that results in expenditure of energy”
Physical Education NZ (PENZ) “An umbrella term for all opportunities that exist to participate in movement activity”
Discuss what the terms Sport, Recreation, Play, Social Sport, Elite level sport, Outdoor Recreation mean to you. List them in a table with brief description.
Write your own personal definition of physical activity…
In order to understand why we do physical activity, what leads us to play a sport or drop a sport we need to look back at what we have done and the motives behind it.
1. Has sport been the most common physical activity in your life?
2. How influential has your family been in encouraging or discourgaing you from participating in physical activity?
3. How important has school been in encouraging or discourgaing you from participating in physical activity?
4. Was Physical Education at school all about Sport of did it cover a wide range of physical activity? Did you like PE?
5. Is there more pressure on boys to perform a physical activity than girls? Why?
6. Why do you do physical activity? What do you get out of it?
7. Have there been experiences in physical activity that you have not enjoyed? What did you not like about it?
8. Do you think physical activity has made you a better person i.e your wellbeing has been enhanced?
9. If you had your time again are there activities you would have tried? Would you have focussed more on a particular sport? Why?
10. Have you done a physical activity because your friends were doing it?
11. Have you done something because it you saw it on TV?
Task - Complete EMI survey handout and questions
Socio-ecological perspective – read handout and speech example.