Critical literacy with ESL students: Language learning through affirmation of linguistic & cultural identities. Sunny Man Chu LAU PhD candidate, Second Language Education Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning/ OISE Mei Lan MA Teacher, Toronto District School Board
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Critical literacy with ESL students: Language learning through affirmation of linguistic & cultural identities
Sunny Man Chu LAU
PhD candidate, Second Language Education
Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning/ OISE
Mei Lan MA
Teacher, Toronto District School Board
Master’s student, OISE
But what may a CL program for beginning ELLs look like?
CL research with ELLs
CL research with beginning ELLS
critical users of information and knowledge, acceptance of diverse cultures, etc.
Lankshear’s (1997) three takes on critical literacy object(s) of critique
Context: School and Student population
ESL students/ research participants
Critical Literacy: An integrative approach
1. Integrative critical literacy instructional model (built on Ada and Campoy’ s creative reading approach (1991, 2004)
2. Luke & Freebody’s (1999) concept of
a. Code breakersb. Meaning makers
c. Text usersd. Text critics
(Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 ELLs)
Picnicking in the woods,
going on the trip ,fishing
trees, singing birds, clear sky
Kite-flying, moon admiring
playing with lanterns.
SummerSunny, hotSwimming, camping, shoppingSunshine, beach, hotpotSkiing, skating, sleddingCold, snowywinter
Module on Me and My family
a. The Story of My Name
b. My Family
c. Who am I?
Negotiating new identities
What to retain, what to forgo?
Ngo (2004; 2005)
Ngo (2004; 2005)
“Immigrant teenagers have to cope with three traumas simultaneously:
(Epstein & Kheimets, 2000)
immigrant experience ≈ bereavement
1. My name is X. L.. My character is more gentle, my name mean glitter filled with sunshine . My parents chose the name for me . l have no sister.I have not any nickname. l like my name , because my name is very beautiful like the meteor.
2. My name is H.K.L.. I have 3 characters in my name. The first character in my name is my family name, second or third is first names. ... H means health ,K means outstanding. And my mam call me H.K. it is quite an affectionate term.
I have nicknames. My friend call my “chicken”. I quite like my nickname because it is short and easy to write it. I like my name to because my name is my mam and dad to it give me.
3. My name is T. L. I have 2 characters in my name. L. is my last name. T. is my first name in Chinese. “T” means child, It is my dad help me chose. Why my dad chose this name for me? Because he wants to tell people that “T.L” is in our family. And he hopes I am help every day, so he chose this name for me.I have a nickname is: “xpy” which means a little kid. They say that I’m a “little kid” forever in their hearts. So I get this nickname. I like my Chinese name, because it has some special meaning for me .
1. I love going to school, becausein the school, I can see my friends.I love shopping with my mother, becauseshe will buy many beautiful clothes for me.I love caring for my friends, becauseI love them.I love sharing cakes with my sister, becauseshe likes cake.I hate going to hospital, becauseI will scared!I hate running in rainy, becauseI will fall down on earth!I hate eating with my uncle, becausehe can eat too much!I hate shopping with my friends, becausethey will use my money!
I hate beans, corns and animals.selfishness and jealousy;summers hot and winters cold;English food and books;being popular,nosey people,smoker.liars. I love computers and Eureka Seven. Jackies Chan and being home;learning, playing, walking,Pepsi and strawberry flavors;green and black,video games,camping,
HateI hate doing homeworkall day longeating seafood,going to the library.reading English book.
I like playing in the snow,playing violins.playing computer games,swimming in the pool.eating chocolate ice cream,watching movies in the cinema ,playing soccer and basket ball with my friend
I like comic Naruto ,One piece.
I am a Chinese that can speak Mandarin very well.
I am a basketball fan that can shoot a basket very nicely.
I am a student that loves to learn.
I am a gymnast that loves to get strong.
I am a boy that can get any girl friends I like.
I am a good swimmer that wins championship.
I am a student who loves to learn.
I am a bird that loves to fly.
I am a cat that likes eating fish.
I am a boy that is healthy.(by Sam)
I can do push-ups 40 times per minute.
I can play the race car games very fast.
I can read the books really loud.
I can use some words to make sentences.
I can speak Mandarin very well.
I can walk to school every day.
I can sing for a long time.(by Boah)
I can help my mother to wash dishes.
I can speak a lot Cantonese.
I can run on the Great Wall.
I can play computer games very well.
I can fold the clothes every day.
I can read a book every day.
I can finish my homework in one hour… (by Yorkie)
I can play different kinds of baseball.
I can read Chinese books.
I can write in Chinese
I can ply pokemon games
I can speak a little English
I can read world map.(by Sam)
I can do my text very well when is open-book test.
I can make the house very clean.
I can finish my homework fast.
I can play a lot of instruments.
I can hand in my homework on time.
I can decorate my house very beautifully.
I can sing songs very loudly.(by Terri)
“Are they dumb?" /“Are they stupid?”
“Why we have so many ESL students in our class?”
- physical or social exclusion
What, Who, Why & What we can do about it
(by B.C. Teachers Federation Program Against Racism)
-fear of not having the language to report
-fear of revenge
Input & output
Concerted effort of ESL teacher, and the whole school in helping students to feel they are legitimate members of a community
1. Hi.. I thought it was awesome... and sad. It helped me to remember the ESL students..and I've made more of an effort to talk to Yoland and Melodie... Yoland doesn't want to present her presentation to her class which is really upsetting... I wish I could do more. It's too bad that Sunny can't present these findings to the whole staff... I think a lot of people (on staff) don’t really have a clue what the students are actually going through.. (or they turn a blind eye like some of the students)...
2. After attending the lunch and learn last week (about ESL students) I decided to take a different approach to ESL and Science... I found some great resources through Tippett for the science unit and created an alternative assignment based on the resources. 7D was given an earthquake project recently that was language-based (although I did give it to the ESL students so that they also had access to what everyone else was working on). It was their choice (the ESL students) if they wanted to do the alternative assignment or work on the earthquake project.
I told the class that they'd be working on it in class, during class time, with a partner. Today, Melodie and Chicken showed up with the COMPLETED EARTHQUAKE PROJECT.. totally typed and everything answered. I was shocked ... basically over the last couple of days, they had translated everything on the sheet (must have taken forever!) and wrote it out in their own words. I was so proud of them that I showed the rest of 7D and everyone clapped!!! I think it was really important for their class to see that ESL students are capable of doing everything (and in this case --- so much better!) than English-speaking students. If only their class would give them a chance... sigh.