OVERVIEW OF LONG LASTING INSECTICIDAL NETS FOR MALARIA Challenges & Way Forward . Malaria Medicines & Supplies Services RBM Partnership Secretariat . Products Available. LLINs: 2 WHOPES-certified products, 3 manufacturers, 1 in Africa Olyset PermaNet ® New Development :
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Malaria Medicines & Supplies Services
RBM Partnership Secretariat
The Shipment and Distribution of nets are a major logistical challenge. Depending, for example, on the type of LLIN, international shipping and handling costs (ITSH), inland transportation, testing and inspection costs could run between 45% and 65% of net cost.
N.B. Different types have different weights and volumes
Data based on Rectangular net size 150 x 190 x 180cm
1. Recent RBM forecast establishes the vulnerable population in Africa (pregnant women & <5s) as 122m. With funding reportedly available for approximately 40 million, the net-need GAP for this vulnerable group is +/- 82m.
COVERAGE IMPACT: 20%
2. By contrast, the current at risk population in Africa is 645m.
The above figures are production objectives provided by manufacturers. Given the current problems manufacturers are having in scaling-up their production, such capacities could potentially not be achieved until well into 2006.
▪ MMSS has embarked upon an intensive, multi-pronged initiative to ensure:
- Emergence of Public Private Partnerships
- Technology Transfer (expand/replicate Sumitomo/A to Z initiative)
- Bridging geographical gap between manufacturing and shipping points, a WTO/ITC initiative, (manufacturing/buying in Africa for Africa), thereby reducing significantly the delivery time for LLINs to highly vulnerable groups in at risk countries