Introduction. The following presentation will focus on some popular dieting fads. I will give a brief description of each fad and discuss what is missing, negative health implications, validity, and dietary implications.. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. The basic idea behind Dr. Atkins diet is to eliminate carbohydrates from the diet. By doing this the body will be forced to burn up stored fat for energy.Missing nutrient include:Carbohydrates, Calcium, Magnesium, potassium, iron, Vit. C and 33423
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. EATING FADS By Richard Fielder
Source: Eating well, Living well: When you can’t diet anymore. A guide to help you reach your personal health goal. Glenn A. Gaesser,Ph.D, Karin Katina, M.A. , R.D.
2. Introduction The following presentation will focus on some popular dieting fads. I will give a brief description of each fad and discuss what is missing, negative health implications, validity, and dietary implications.
3. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution The basic idea behind Dr. Atkins diet is to eliminate carbohydrates from the diet. By doing this the body will be forced to burn up stored fat for energy.
Missing nutrient include:
Carbohydrates, Calcium, Magnesium, potassium, iron, Vit. C and E, Thiamin.
4. Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution Negative Health Implications.
Increased risk of cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, liver and kidney damage, some cancers and osteoporosis.
None, there is no scientific evidence that this diet works or is safe.
This diet recommends only 15% carbs, 30%protein and 55% Fat.
5. Dr. Bob’s Revolutionary Weight Control Program. Premise
Foods are Drugs! Some foods will make you feel terrible and gain weight while others will make you feel great and lose weight.
Carbohydrates, Vitamins, Minerals.
6. Dr. Bob’s Revolutionary Weight Control Program. Negative Health Implications.
Health problems associated with nutrient deficiencies and lack of carbohydrates.
There have been no scientifically validated studies conducted on this eating plan. Validation of the book comes from friends and relatives.
7. Food Guide Pyramid Premise
The food guide pyramid contains recommendations for all food groups, which include grains, fruits and vegetables, meat, and dairy. No calorie counting and you will get all the nutrients you need.
8. Food Guide Pyramid Missing Nutrients
Negative Health Implications
9. Food Guide Pyramid Validity
Scientific studies have proven that the most effective weight-loss program balances a healthful eating plan with regular physical activity
10. Food Guide Pyramid Dietary Recommendations.
50-60% Carbs, 10-15% Protein, No more than 30% Fat(less that 10% from saturated fat).
11. Conclusion Most dieting fads are unhealthy. It is important for the consumer to educate themselves about what is good for their bodies. The best way to lose weight and stay healthy is by following the food guide pyramid and getting regular exercise.