Aligning Academics: Learner Mobility from a Canadian Perspective. Dr. Griff Richards Thompson Rivers University- Open Learning CANADA. Invited Talk, TransBorder Accreditation, Moscow, 30 March 2012. Knowledge Capital . Which has the most value?. Knowledge capital . $38.93. $150.14.
Aligning Academics:Learner Mobility from a Canadian Perspective
Dr. Griff Richards
Thompson Rivers University-
Invited Talk, TransBorder Accreditation, Moscow,
30 March 2012
Which has the most value?
They all have value, but I can’t use them in Canada.
Canada has no federal education system.
It has 13 regional education authorities.
Kamloops, British Columbia
Is a fact of life.
When the fishing
people went west
to Alberta to
fish for oil.
Percent of Oil Sands workers from Eastern Canada
Initially block transfer for “laddering” of diplomas and degrees
1. How reputable is the Academy?
Public / Private?
2. What has been studied for credit?
3. Standing articulation agreements
The transfer system is slowly evolving to meet the evolving needs of learners.
1. Transfer gives students mobility
2. Receiving institutions win when they accept good students with skills & knowledge
3. Sending institutions win when their credits are widely accepted and ladder elsewhere
4. Students who study abroad bring home valuable skills
5. Transfer agreements take time to evolve