Progress and Plans for Meeting RCW 70.146.090 Requirements (Joint Legislative Audit and Review Committee). Water Quality Program Financial Assistance. Evolution of “JLARC” Statute. Legislative interest in state investments by all environmental financial programs.
RCW 70.146.090 Requirements
(Joint Legislative Audit and Review Committee)
Water Quality Program
5. Joint, collaborative work with other agencies to streamline across funding programs e.g:
6. Agencies report to Legislature annually on efforts and progress.
“Grants and loans to local governments -- Statement of environmental benefits -- Development of outcome-focused performance measures.
In providing grants and loans to local governments, the department (of Ecology) shall: (actively address three  multi-year tasks):
1. Require recipients to incorporate the environmental benefits of the project into their applications, and the department (of Ecology) shall utilize the statement of environmental benefits in its grant and loan prioritization and selection process.
(Implemented - but ongoing effort)
2. The department shall also develop appropriate outcome-focused performance measures to be used both for management and performance assessment of the grant and loan program.
(Some efforts completed – others under development).
3. To the extent possible, the department should coordinate its performance measure system with other natural resource-related agencies as defined in RCW 43.41.270. The department shall consult with affected interest groups in implementing this section.”
(Ongoing, but needs continued refinement).
Water Quality “Goals” are defined as major changes in the environment. Specifically they are one or more of the following three (3) measures:
“OUTCOMES” are defined as environmental changes that the applicant/recipient can expect to achieve from a successful project, e.g.
Establishment and maintenance of a properly functioning 12 mile riparian corridor by:
MILESTONES” are defined as performance items that measurably lead to the achievement of the “Water Quality Outcomes and Goals.” e.g:
May 31, 2005.
During the FY 2003 and 04 funding cycles, the rating and ranking process recognized (points assigned to):
A “Special Condition” will be included in all grant /loan agreements beginning in FY04 that will require recipients to: