The Dutch "Golden Age". (1580s - 1670s). Look for the slides with writing. Study the rest – I will check on Friday!!. The Netherlands: The “Low Country”. Government. 1. The government was dominated by the bourgeoisie whose wealth and power limited the power of the state
(1580s - 1670s)
Look for the slides with writing. Study the rest – I will check on Friday!!
1. The government was dominated by the bourgeoisie whose wealth and power limited the power of the state
2. Government was run by representative institutions
First built in 1300.
Jewish refugees helped found it in 1602.
Settled in 1624.
Official Flag of the NYC Seal of the City of NY.
Early 20c Dutch Revival Building in NYC.
- provincial level
- held virtually all the power
- strong advocates of local independence
- States General representative from each province
- responsible for defense and order
- federal assembly
- foreign affairs (war)
- all issues had to be referred to the local Estates
Philip II consolidated Hapsburg landsat the end of the 16c.
The United Provinces still recognized Spanish rule, but, in 1581, they declared their independence.
King William III Queen Mary II ascend the throne of England in 1689 after the Glorious Revolution.