In the context of (a lack of) National Housing Policy for Older People: Should we be asking older people to move? What do we need to end standoff? International Longevity Centre-UK. Today. ….a back-to-front presentation: Answer question of should we ask older people to move home?
In the context of (a lack of) National Housing Policy for Older People:Should we be asking older people to move?What do we need to end standoff?International Longevity Centre-UK
So should we be asking older people to move and downsize?
How much is there?
HAPPI: 730,000 (incl nursing and residential) in England
How much do we need?
Good question(!) - Standard [email protected] reports: 120 S/H; 20 En/S/H; 25 X/C; 65 R/C; 45 N/C per 1000 75+
How much is being built?
Housing (excl nursing/resi care): Approx 8,000 pa (prev 30k)
Where is it being built?
Huge geographic inequalities in availability: e.g. TG region; OO housing v low
-Withdrawal of public sector funding from constructing specialist housing.
-Focus on ageing in place in housing policies – why can’t ageing in place include specialist housing? Lack of demand
-No overall mandate on (English) LAs – NPPF mentions older people twice. Wide variety in way Strategic Housing Market Assessment carried out and interpreted etc.
-Lack of demand among older people ‘Retirement housing looks depressed, like a care home’ – knowledge + acceptability ‘80 is the new 50’ (get real!)
-Lack of clarity of who retirement housing is for – pre-emptive moves?
Who shoots first? Policy-makers, but action required from all parties
1. Rewrite policies to reflect that ‘ageing in place’ and ‘staying in own home’ includes retirement housing.
2. Incorporate the prevention agenda into policies involving housing, health and social care.
3. Supply specific benchmarks – what is reasonable provision?
4. Help to foster trust in an embattled sector
5. Incorporate housing into financial planning guidance
6. Innovation panels
7. Incorporate key learning from other sectors
8. Action on the concerns of potential consumers
9. Stop denying that we are ageing
10. In addition to having a right to accessing a range of housing options, assume greater responsibilities around housing
*ALL UNDERPINNED BY BETTER EVIDENCE
- What is it? Little consensus….
Challenges of extra care problem…wider?