Topic : M easurement Aim : How can we measure mass and temperature? Do Now : Scientific Method questions (Hand in Lab Safety Activity) HW:. 9 cm. 8 cm. 10 cm. V = L x W x H. V = 10cm x 8cm x 9cm. V = 720 cm 3. Example:. V = 20 –11.5 V = 8.5 mL. V1 =11.5 mL. V2 = 20 mL.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Aim: How can we measure mass and temperature?
Do Now: Scientific Method questions
(Hand in Lab Safety Activity)
V = L x W x H
V = 10cm x 8cm x 9cm
V = 720 cm3
V = 20 –11.5
V = 8.5 mL
V1 =11.5 mL
V2 = 20 mL
Amount of matter in an object
TRIPLE BEAM BALANCE
Mass = 542 gm
Tube filled with a fluid such as alcohol
Fahrenheit Scale: Non-metric temp scale
2 scales used to measure temperature
Water freezes = 32°F
Water boils = 212°F
Human body temp = 98.6°F
2.Celsius Scale: Metric scale
Water freezes = 0°C
Water boils = 100°C
Human body temp = 37°C
What is the name of the instrument used to measure mass?
Identify the units used to measure mass.
What instrument is used to measure temperature?
Identify the two temperature scales used. Explain the difference between the two scales.
Mass = 137.4 gm
Mass = 25.4 gm
Mass = 79.4 gm
1. Which piece of laboratory equipment would be used to obtain the most accurate measure of the volume of a glucose solution?
triple beam balance
2. Which piece of equipment could be used to determine the mass of a frog?
triple beam balance
3. Mass is best defined as the
size of an object
density of an object
amount of matter in an object
weight of an object
4. The amount of space an object takes up is known as its
5. The units for the volume of a solid is
6. The basic unit of volume in the metric system is the
7. The basic unit of mass in the metric system is the
8. To measure the volume of an irregular solid, a student can use
a triple beam balance
displacement in a graduated cylinder
9. The volume of a liquid is 13.0 mL. What must a student do to obtain a volume of 12.5 mL of liquid in the graduated cylinder?
Add 0.5 mL of liquid.
Add 1.5 mL of liquid.
Remove 0.5 mL of liquid.
Remove 1.5 mL of liquid.