BASIC SERVICE OFFICER TRAINING SEPTEMBER 7, 2011 NON-SERVICE CONNECTED PENSION DON SMITH - INSTRUCTOR. BASIC PENSION (Overview of Topics). PURPOSE HISTORY CURRENT PENSION (PL 95-588) PENSION ELIGIBILITY
BASIC SERVICE OFFICER TRAINING
SEPTEMBER 7, 2011
NON-SERVICE CONNECTED PENSION
DON SMITH - INSTRUCTOR
(SOMETIMES REFERED TO AS OLD LAW PENSION)
-FIXED MONTHLY AMOUNT (DOES NOT HAVE COST OF LIVING INCREASE)
-CAN ELECT TO CONVERT TO IMPROVED PENSION (CONVERSION IN IRREVOCABLE)
WWII:12/7/41 – 12/31/46 Korea: 6/27/50 – 1/31/55
Vietnam: 8/5/64– 5/7/75 (From 2/28/61 for Vets who were in Vietnam)
Persian Gulf Was: 8/2/90 – Date TBD
Detailed information concerning deductible expenses can be found in M21-1MR, Part V, Subpart iii, Chapter 1, Section G.
“reasonable that some part of the corpus of such estate be consumed for the veteran’s maintenance”
Whether property can be readily converted into cash at no substantial sacrifice
Life expectancy of claimant
Number of dependents
(Minus 5% of MAPR)
- Who Receives Annually?
- What form do they receive?
21-0516 vice 21-0516-1
Difference? Block 8, Medical Expenses
Of Significance – Block 8. C.
Projected Medical Expenses
- Difference Between Recurring and Non-recurring Medical Expenses
have been paid for previous year,
NOT the amount they were actually
Based on actual income and
deductible expenses for that year.
As determined by annual EVR and 21-8416.
Medical Expenses reported on 21-8416.
– Single veteran provided domiciliary or nursing home care by VA will be reduced to $90
– Veteran entitled to A&A is hospitalized at VA or Government expense, the additional amount received for A&A will be discontinued the last day of the month following the month the veteran was admitted.
- 3.1 (d), (e) (f) Chapter 1, Section G
- 3.271 to 3.277