New Student Orientation
1 / 34

New Student Orientation SCE - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

New Student Orientation SCE. School of Science and Computer Engineering. Academic Advising Office. Bayou Building 3611 281-283-3711 [email protected] Advisors Available Monday through Thursday 10:00 am – 5:30 pm.

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about ' New Student Orientation SCE' - hestia

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

New Student Orientation


School of Science and Computer Engineering

Academic Advising Office

Bayou Building 3611


[email protected]

Advisors Available

Monday through Thursday

10:00 am – 5:30 pm

Times occasionally change due to meetings and events that require advisor participation.

Call 281-283-3711 to verify advisor availability.

Academic Advising Office



Advising Coordinator/Advisor

Beryl Ricard

Academic Advisor

Becky Morton


Chris Baker






[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

three advisors , two staff members, to serve 1,800 students

Uhcl overview
UHCL - Overview

SCESchool of Science & Computer Engineering

BUS School of BUSiness

SOE School Of Education

HSH School of Human Sciences & Humanities


Now we offer all 4 years of the bachelor’s degree

Getting Advice


Have different policies about

  • Admission

  • Foundation courses

  • Degree plans (CPS)

  • Grade requirements.


Have different policies about

  • Admission

  • Foundation courses

  • Degree plans (CPS)

  • Grade requirements.

  • Changing majors


What is true for your friend

often is NOT

true for YOU.

Getting Advice: Too many choices!

  • Advising Center: for Freshmen ONLY Bayou 1408

  • Help for your first semester

  • Help you select a major

  • Review what classes will transfer

  • Select classes for your FIRST semester.

  • May refer you to an SCE Academic Advisor

  • UG Transfer Academic Advisor SSB 1202

  • Help for your first semester

  • Help you select a major

  • Review what classes will transfer

  • Select classes for your FIRST semester.

  • May refer you to an SCE Academic Advisor

  • SCE Academic Advisor Bayou 3611

  • University rules and policies

  • SCE rules and policies

  • Draft your official degree plan (CPS)

  • Updated CPS for Financial Aid and VA

  • Updated CPS for International documents

  • Holds for excess credit or probation

  • Reinstatement from suspension

  • SCEFaculty Advisor - see Web for personal offices

  • Finalize your degree plan (CPS)

  • Selecting degree electives

  • Anything else involving the content of your degree plan.

  • Career possibilities

Candidate Plan of Study

The single most important document for your successful graduation is your


Degree Plan.

At UHCL, the degree plan is called the

Candidate Plan of Study

Candidate Plan of Study

  • Your CPS specifically states:

  • Exactly which classes you must take to graduate

  • The number of credit hours you must earn to graduate

  • The minimum grades you must make to graduate

Candidate Plan of Study

You will get your CPS DURING your first semester.

You will not get it now.

Sometime mid-semester, you will be notified in your campus e-mail that your CPS draft is ready.

You will meet with your faculty advisor to finalize your degree plan.

A copy of the final plan will be e-mailed to you.





Does NOT include foundations

Does NOT include U.S. transfer credit

Is NOT an official document,

Is NOT used for graduation


Faculty approved


Includes foundations

Includes U.S. transfer credit

Official document

Used to determine graduation


  • If the DPR is different from your CPS, FOLLOW YOUR CPS.

You may e-mail [email protected] to request corrections to the DPR, but you are not required to do so.

Graduate Foundation Waivers

Waiver requests: all degrees except

Computer Science and Computer Information Systems

  • First Semester Your first semester at UHCL, do NOT register for any assigned foundation courses for which you believe you have completed equivalent class work with grade of C or better.

  • Faculty advisor When you meet with your faculty advisor, take class descriptions and syllabi for any courses for which you wish to request a waiver.

  • Waiver committee If your faculty advisor declines to waive a class and you do not agree, you can appeal to the waiver committee.

Graduate Foundation Waivers

First step for

Computer Science /Computer Information Systems

Final appeal for all other majors. Do this ONLY if you faculty advisor has refused a waiver and you feel you have grounds for an appeal.

  • Fill out Waiver Request Form (available in B3611)

  • Attach all supporting documentation

  • Make a copy for yourself

  • Submit to Academic Advising Office B3611

  • Do not take the class until you have a final answer from the waiver committee.

  • Graduate Foundation Waivers

    Technical Writing or Scientific Writing

    No Waivers

    WRIT 3135(3315) Technical Writing or you may choose to take:

    BIOT 5035 Scientific Writing - or - CSCI 5035 Technical Writing

    • These classes are assigned IN ADDITION to the other degree requirements.

    • They DO NOT count as electives toward the degree.

    • The DO COUNT toward the GPA.

    Registration for Graduates



    • Academic Advisors do not advise graduate students which classes to take.

    • Your first semester it is best to register for assigned WRITING classes (if required), for any foundation classes which you do not plan to question, and for standard core classes for your degree program

    • If you are not sure if you first semester classes are appropriate, or if you must register for an elective, be sure to contact your faculty advisor prior to or during the first week of class, when you can still add and drop.

    Registration for All



    Registration for All


    Track your progress on your CPS. When you complete a class, fill in the grade on your CPS.

    • Follow your CPS when you select classes each semester

    • Contact your faculty advisor about selecting or changing electives.

    • Take a CPS Change form to your faculty advisor to document the changes. Turn in the form to B3611

    • Check the 2 year schedule to plan but consult your faculty advisor if you have questions about class availability. The 2 year schedule WILL change in Fall 2014.

    Registration – Full Classes

    Contact the SECRETARY in the division office for the class either by E-mail or face-to-face

    Provide the following information:

    Your name, student ID and major

    The semester, class, section number, class date and time

    Example: Fall 2014, Biology 3333, section 01, TTH 1:30-2:50

    3. Reason you have to take the class at this time.

    Math/Statistics Patty Gibson Bayou 3521

    [email protected]

    Natural Science Maria Winters Bayou 3531

    [email protected]

    Computer Science/

    Information Kim Edwards Delta 161

    [email protected]

    Engineering Janet Brecheen Delta 151

    [email protected]

    Registration - Controlled Classes

    • Controlled Classes

    • Certain graduate and undergraduate classes require you to obtain special permission to register.

    • Senior Projects(undergraduate)

    • Research Project and Seminar(graduate)

    • Research Methods(graduate)

    • Others as requested by faculty

    • You must e-mail the instructorto receive a permission number which will allow you to enroll.

    Class Numbering System

    The first digit is the LEVEL: CSCI 3311 or CSCI 5233

    Undergraduate: The SECOND digit is CREDIT HOURS CSCI 3311

    Graduate: The THIRD digit is CREDIT HOURS CSCI 5233

    The other digits don’t mean anything

    Graduate Level


    Master’s Degree MS, MA, MBA, etc.

    Undergraduate Level





    Upper-level: Junior and Senior Level

    Lower-level: Freshman and Sophomore

    Grades & Grade Point Average





    • In your Catalog

    • Online

    • On your CPS


    are responsible for knowing the rules

    Graduate CPS



    Grade Point Average (GPA)

    • Graduate Students

    • Must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00

    • Grades of C- will NOT count toward the degree.

    • No more than 2 grades of C or C+ will count toward the degree, excluding foundations and writing class (SCE rule).


    Grade Point Average (GPA)

    Cumulative GPA

    The average of the grades earned in


    of the classes* for which you have earned credit at UHCL.

    *If a class is repeated, the last grade replaces the first grade in the GPA calculation.

    Grade Point Average (GPA)

    Cumulative GPA includes:

    • Foundation classes for graduate students

    • Writing Class for graduate students

    • All classes (except repeated classes), whether they count toward your degree or not

      Even if you change your major, the classes that do not apply to your new major still count in your UCHL cumulative GPA.

    Grade Point Average (GPA)


    The average of all the classes you take at UHCL in a single semester. This is only important if you are on probation or suspension.

    Probation and Suspension - Graduates


    Undergraduate students whose Cumulative GPA drops below 3.00 are placed on probation.

    While on probation, the semester GPA must be 3.00 or better every semester until the cumulative GPA rises to 3.00, at which time the student is removed from probation.


    If, while on probation, a student earns a semester GPA of less than 3.00, the student is placed on suspension, cannot attend UCHL for one semester, and must request reinstatement.

    A second suspension is for one year.

    A third suspension is forever.

    Be aware of UHCL’s +/- grading system:

    BEWARE! The grade of B- is only 2.667 points

    Requests to Change Major

    Graduate Students

    1. SCE Graduate students may request to change your major once, and only once, in an academic year.

    2. There will be a window of time each semester when SCE Advising will accept graduate student requests to change majors. The window to change majors opens at the beginning of Open Registration.

    3. If you request and are accepted to a new major, you forfeitthe opportunity to be accepted back to your former major.

    5. Allow 4-6 weeks for a decision on acceptance to a new major. If denied, you will remain in your current major and there will be no change in your status.

    Campus E-Mail

    • Secure

    • Private – keep it private! Do not share your log-in!

    • Mandatory

    • Can be forwarded to an outside address

    • RARELY captured by the SPAM filter


    Many departments have the authority to put holds on students which will prevent you from registering.

    Examples include overdue library books, unpaid parking tickets, unpaid fees.

    Academic Advisors CANNOT help you with any of these holds


    • The only holds Academic Advisors control are:

    • Probation holds for graduates or undergraduates

    • Excess hour holds for undergraduates only

    • See your ACADEMIC advisor ONLY for one of these two holds

    • .

    • Faculty advisors cannot remove any holds



    Study Hard

    Stay Focused

    Enjoy !!!!!!!!