Wolves in MN. Minnesota Wildlife. Physical Characteristics. Conformation Largest member of dog family Weight – adult males 95-100 lbs., females 80-85 lbs. Height – most adult wolves stand 26-32 inches, reaching as tall as 3 feet at the withers.
2. Gray Wolf (Canis Lupus)
*Prey animals generally ignore howling
2. Mate Preference
4. Whelping and pup development
2. Feeding habits
3. The Hunt
The Hunt continued…
*Wolf quickly decides if prey is worth the chase
1. Wolves prefer forested areas that are remote, and inaccessible by humans.
2. Prefer an area that has prey availability. The higher the prey supply the higher the population.
3. Wolves’ primary habitat in Minnesota is in the northeast and north central forested areas.
6. Wolves are very territorial and will chase or kill any outside wolf intruders that come into the pack’s established territory. Their ranges may overlap but territories are well established and will never overlap intentionally.