Linking Sustainability and Performance Excellence. Presented to: Minnesota Council for Quality Troy Goodnough, Sustainability Coordinator University of Minnesota, Morris January 8 th , 2009. What is this talk supposed to do?.
Linking Sustainability and Performance Excellence
Presented to: Minnesota Council for Quality
Troy Goodnough, Sustainability Coordinator
University of Minnesota, Morris
January 8th, 2009
6. Workers do not have an important impact on productivity or product quality.
7. Consumer, environmental, and other social concerns are unimportant to the American public.
“The most important year for climate change since 2001, when the Kyoto protocol (which set targets for cutting carbon-dioxide emissions) was agreed, will be 2009. The first period protocol runs out in 2012. The deal to replace it is supposed to be done a the United Nations’ Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen, which starts on November 30th 2009 and is due to end on December 11th. No deal means that mankind gives up on trying to save the planet.”
2. Biomimicry: Eliminate the idea of waste, by redesigning industrial systems along biological lines that can change the nature of industrial processes and materials, enabling the constant reuse of materials in continuous closed cycles, and often the elimination of toxicity
3. Service and flow economy: Shift from a economy of good and services to one of service and flow. This will entail a new perception of value, a shift from the acquisition of goods as a measure of affluence to an economy where the continuous receipt of quality, utility, and performance promotes well-being. Focuses on relationships that reward resource productivity and closed-loop cycles of materials use.
4. Invest in natural capital: Work toward reversing world-wide planetary destruction through reinvestments in sustaining, restoring and expanding stocks of natural capital, so that the biosphere can produce more abundant ecosystem services and natural resources
The four work together to: reduce environmental harm, increase economic growth, and increase meaningful employment.