Exploring the Literary Lives and Reputations of: Daniel Defoe & Mary Astell . By: Colin Furlong &Sara Tokach. Mary Astell . Literary Life and Reputation. Mary Astell: Literary Life & Reputation . Followed the philosophical writing of Lock and Descartes
By: Colin Furlong &Sara Tokach
Literary Life and Reputation
1. Behn as a female writer was racy and controversial, especially compared to Astell's conservative feminism. Who would have had more of an impact on you, if you were part of their society?
2. Astell'sidea for an academy for women was considered extreme, by some. Is there any kind of establishment now that you think would raise this kind of controversy, or be considered extreme?
Literary Life & Reputation
Biographical Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-DI19GzAg
1. What are some possible motives behind Defoe’s Proposal?
2. How would you describe Defoe’s attitude towards women?
3. How might a contemporary defender of women’s rights, such as Hillary Clinton or Oprah Winfrey respond to Defoe’s essay?
4. Do you think that any issues related to the education and training of women are still controversial?