Culture and Social Behavior: Cross-Cultural Social Psychology. Interpersonal Communication. Context vs. Content Cultural Orientation Context of communication: level and tone of voice; looking or not looking into the eyes (contact); distance between bodies; posture and body orientation;
Context vs. Content Cultural Orientation
Work by Fiske revealed four types of social behavior patterns across cultures.
1. Community Sharing:
2. Authority Ranking:
3. Equality Matching:
4. Market Pricing:
- More than 10,000 respondents in 37 different cultures completed 2 questionnaires (factors in choosing a mate and preferences concerning potential mates)
- In 36 of 37 cultures, females rated financial prospects as more important than did males.
- In all 37, males preferred younger mates and females preferred older mates.
- In 34, males rated good looks as more important
- In 23, males rated chastity as more important