An Integrated English Course Book 4. Unit Ten. Questions for General Understanding. What do you know about the narrator? What type of writing is the text? What’s the author’s purpose of writing? How many parts can the text be divided into? (p. 155). 1. About the narrator. James Earl Jones.
3. Purpose of writing (154)
Q: Did you expect a person as described in Paragraph 1 could have suffered from stutter?
A: It is really out of anyone’s expectation that a person with the experience of stuttering may have such a great achievement, especially in a career dependent primarily upon voice and fluency.
Whilom, as olde stories tellen us,Ther was a duc that highte Theseus;Of Atthenes he was lord and governour,And in his tyme swich a conquerour,That gretter was ther noon under the sonne.Ful many a riche contree hadde he wonne,What with his wysdom and his chivalrie;He conquered al the regne of Femenye,That whilom was ycleped Scithia,And weddede the queene Ypolita,And broghte hir hoom with hym in his contree,With muchel glorie and greet solempnytee,And eek hir yonge suster Emelye.And thus with victorie and with melodye
FIRE AND ICE Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
我通知了住在山那边的邻居； manuscript.有一天我们约好，巡视地界一番， 在我们两家之间再把墙重新砌起。 我们走的时候，中间隔著一沿墙。 落在两边的石块，由各自去料理。 有些是长块的，有些几乎圆得像球， 需要一点魔术才能把它们放稳当： 「给我好好待著，等我们转过身再滚落！」 我们搬弄石头，把手指都磨粗了。 啊！这不过又是一种户外游戏， 一个人站在一边。此外没有多少用处： 在墙那地方，我们根本不需要墙： 他那边全是松树，我这边则是苹果园。 我的苹果树永远也不会踱过去， 吃掉他松树下的毬果。我对他说。 他只是说：「好篱笆造出好邻居。」
I let my neighbour know beyond the hill; And on a day we meet to walk the line And set the wall between us once again. We keep the wall between us as we go. To each the boulders that have fallen to each. And some are loaves and some so nearly balls We have to use a spell to make them balance: “Stay where you are until our backs are turned!” We wear our fingers rough with handling them. Oh, just another kind of out-door game, One on a side. It comes to little more: There where it is we do not need the wall: He is all pine and I am apple orchard. My apple trees will never get across And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him. He only says, “Good fences make good neighbours.”
/ ... supported myself by sweeping floors of off-Broadway stages before there was any new role for me to play.
Easter eggs people created a tower in order to defy God. Up until that time, all the people on the earth spoke one language. The building of the tower led God, as recorded in Genesis 11:7, to confuse their tongues to keep them from being further unified in their false beliefs. As the people moved into other lands, many of them took their pagan practices with them. are a popular sign of the holiday. (Left)
Coloured Easter eggs in the United States. (Right)
1. can只有两种时态, 即can 和could, 而be able to 有多种时态, 如was/were able to, will/shall be able to, have/has been able to等:
2 without stuttering for the first time?．表示过去通过努力终于做成了某事要用be able to，而不能用can。如：
3．can 可以表 “允许”, 与may可以互换, 此时不能用be able to 代替。如：
4. can without stuttering for the first time?能表猜测，be able to不能。can的这种用法主要用于疑问句和否定句。
1. –Take a seat, please. You must be very tired after a day’s work.
--Thank you, but I ______ tired.
A. can’t be B. am not C. mustn’t be D. may not
2. I hope you _______ catch up with your classmates in a few weeks.
A. to be able to B. can C. be able to D. able to
Answer: B B
3. -- “What do you think of the news in today’s newspaper?”
-- “It _______ be true.”
A. mustn’t B. isn’t be able to C. can D. can’t
4. Through generations of hardworking, our country ________ produce IC with its own intellectual property rights.
A. is able to B. can C. has been able to D. could
5. Our teacher was ill yesterday, and so we ________ have a day off.
A. could B. can C. were able to D. may
ANSWER: D C C
6. He studied very hard last term, so he ______ get the first prize in the final examination.
A. could B. was able to C. might D. would
7. You _____________too careful in your lessons.
A. are never able to be B. can never be C. can be D. must
8. He must have worked out the problem last night, ___?
A. mustn’t he B. hasn’t he C. didn’t he D. can’t he
-- No, he ___________.
A. was not able B. couldn’t C. wasn’t able to D. wasn’t able to pass
10. I __________ make a living in the USA because I’m not good in English.
A. am unable to B. am not able to C. can D. am impossible to
1. Could we meet again tomorrow?
2. She could sing tike an angle when she was a kid.
3. John was so drunk that he couldn’t open the door.
4. I don’t type very well, but I could finish the reports without making too many mistakes.
6. You could talk with your teacher.
7. No one knows where he is. He could be in Paris. He could be in London.
8. Could 1 use your phone?
1. People were flooding in from the surrounding countryside.
2. His performance has come close to perfection.
3. Mary was in a daze all the way to London.
4. In this mountain retreat you can find the best climate in the country.
5. He leaned back into his seat and relaxed, license? savoring the comfort.
6. What makes this young couple proud is that their child could recite poems from memory at the age of three.
7. He repeated in public what he had said in private.
8. A family vibrant with life and love is to be built with the joint efforts of all its members.
1. 三部曲/剧 2. 布道,讲道
3. 导师,顾问 4. 使复活/复兴
5. 充裕的,丰富的 6. 口吃,结巴
7. 羞辱 8. 撤退;隐居地
9. 军事演习;调动 10. 茫然,迷茫
11. 怀疑的;无把握的 12. 创伤的
13. 演说的;雄辩的 14. 窃笑
1. trilogy 2. sermon
3. mentor 4. resurrect
5. abundant 6. stutter
7. humiliate 8. retreat
9. maneuver 10. daze
11. dubious 12. traumatic
13. oratorical 14. snicker