World Geography Europe & Russia Notes. Physical. Peninsulas and Islands . Europe is a large peninsula of Asia also has its own smaller peninsulas: a “peninsula of peninsulas” most places are within 300 miles of the ocean or a sea . Northern Peninsulas .
- bounded by Norwegian, North, and Baltic Seas
- Russia spans 11 time zones
- crosses France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, & Balkans
- cuts Italy off from rest of Europe
- some see them as dividing line between Europe and Asia
- some consider Europe and Asia as single continent—Eurasia
- allows goods inland from coastal harbors, aids economic growth
- flows 2,300 miles south from Moscow & drains into the Caspian Sea basin
- carries 60% of Russia’s river traffic
- 750-mile-long (north to south) saltwater lake
- has lost 80% of water volume since 1960 due to irrigation
- a mile from surface to bottom at deepest point
- 400 miles long, holds 20% of world’s fresh water
- very clean lake, home to 1,200 unique plant & animal species
- saltwater eventually replaced by fresh water
- lake is now called Ijsselmeer
- Produces 1/5 of the world’s timber
- Spain, France, Poland, British Isles & coastal Scandinavia
-moisture from Atlantic Ocean is lost further inland
- permafrost with no trees, only mosses & lichens
- little growth except stunted trees
- area north of Arctic Circle the Land of the Midnight Sun
- some winter days have no sun, some summer days have no night
-Distance from sea decreases precipitation
- Siberian temperatures can drop below –90 degrees F
- buildings must be set off ground on concrete pillars
What body of water is Eastern Europe farther away from than Western Europe which results in it having a harsher climate?
What is the North Atlantic drift & what effect does it have on Western Europe?
What is chernozem?
What mountains divide Europe from Asia?
What do people who believe Europe & Asia are one continent call it?
What is Europe’s longest river?
What is the oldest & deepest lake in the world?
What region in Russia has many resources & a very cold climate cold climate?
How many times does Russia cross?
What is taiga
Why do builder in Siberia have to take special precautions with their buildings?
What is the largest inland sea in the world?
What is Europe’s most famous mountain chain?
What is distance decay?
- good public transportation, cultural attractions, & low crime rates
- only 40% in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 37% in Albania live in cities
- produces at least a third of Europe’s personal, notebook computers
- Inefficient system brought shortages, trade deficiencies, & pollution
- government cannot tax such activity
- removed trade barriers & sets common economic goals
- people could live and work in any member countries
-Some concerned about use of common euro currency &shifting populations as workers move to areas with higher wages
What effect has the Russian mafia had on the economy of Russia?
Who makes all of the economic decisions in a command economy?
- smog—brown haze from gases interacting with sunlight
- smog includes ozone -health-threatening form of oxygen
- chemicals & solid waste contaminate water
- burning coal, other fuels causes acid rain
- killed 80% of river’s fish, fishing jobs are lost
- France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland
- poorly constructed nuclear power stations are not being maintained
- nuclear waste dumps are decaying
- instead of 1 country with weapons, there are 15 independent republics
- United States fears that Russian nuclear materials could be stolen & misused
- many are same design as one at 1986 Chernobyl disaster
- it would be too expensive to build new non-nuclear plants
- hope to build protective dome for disaster site
- facility treats radioactive waste from Russian nuclear submarines
- submarine nuclear waste formerly dumped in the sea
What is smog?
What is ozone?
What river was poisoned when a gold mine in Romania leaked cyanide?
What has the United States been concerned about following the Soviet Union’s break up?
What was the problem, with many of the Russian nuclear reactors?