SB III U2 L4 Media and Commercialism Agenda. Real Life Challenges Essential Question: What are some ways commercialism affects media? Exploring Knowledge: What Do You Know About Advertising and the Media ? Shared Reading: Branded : The Buying and Selling of Teenagers
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
SB III U2 L4 Media and Commercialism Agenda
Real Life Challenges
Essential Question:What are some ways commercialism
What Do You Know About Advertising and the Media?
Write your best guess in answer to the following questions:
1. How many minutes of advertisements are in a typical one-hour TV show? _________
2. How many pages of ads are there in a typical fashion magazine? __________________
3. How many minutes of ads are there in an hour of radio? ________________________
4. What is the annual revenue of the “free” Google Web site? ______________________
5. What percentage of NBA sports arenas are named for corporations? _______________
As a class, we will be reading Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers, a non-fiction article by AlissaQuart.
As we read, we will chunk the text. (The teacher will read and model a read aloud strategy for the first paragraph.)
Pages 119 - 122
By yourself, complete the below writing assignment found on page 118.
WritingPrompt: Most media are brought to you by paid advertisements. In a well-developed paragraph, identify your concerns, and provide specific examples to show why your concerns are significant. You may use information from Activity 2.3 as additional support.
For homework, bring to class a
one-page print ad from a newspaper or magazine that features a man or a woman.