INDIA, THE OLYMPICS AND THE JEWS. By Judd Sundelson , Grade 4, King David, VP. South Africa. Teacher: Morah Kareen. THERE ARE 81 INDIANS. PARTICIPATING IN THE LONDON. 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES. None of them are Jewish. The main areas of Jewish life in India.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
INDIA, THE OLYMPICS
By Judd Sundelson, Grade 4, King David, VP. South Africa. Teacher: MorahKareen.
THERE ARE 81 INDIANS
PARTICIPATING IN THE LONDON
2012 OLYMPIC GAMES
None of them are Jewish
The main areas of
Jewish life in India
JEWISH LIFE IN INDIAToday, most of the Indian Jews live in Mumbai.They have enjoyed religious freedom and prosperity.They are the smallest group of Jews outside Israel (in the Diaspora).They are mostly orthodox or Sephardic.
1. The Cochin Jews- Arrived in India 2,500 years ago. Most were traders.
2. The Bene Israel –arrived about 2,100 years ago.
3. The Baghdadi Jews – Arrived about 250 years ago from Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and Arab countries.
4. The BeneiMenashe – They claim descent from the tribe of Manasseh.
5. The BeneEphraim- A very small group from Teluga who only started observing Judaism from 1981
1.There is no known anti – Semitism in India.
2. The only Kosher slaughtering is of chickens.
3. There are only about 5000 Jews left in India.
4. The Cochin Jewish community are the oldest Jewish community in the world.
5. BensiyonSongavkar is a well known Indian Jewish Cricketer.