Objectives. To introduce the perspective of the hospital epidemiologist/ICPTo think about common reservoirs and modes of transmission in hospitalsTo review common IC-related topics. Infectious diseases vs. Infection control. What diagnosis does this patient have?How do I most effectively treat t
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Friday pm with the hospital epi pager… Allison McGeer
Mount Sinai Hospital/Toronto Medical Labs
University of Toronto
2. Objectives To introduce the perspective of the hospital epidemiologist/ICP
To think about common reservoirs and modes of transmission in hospitals
To review common IC-related topics
3. Infectious diseases vs. Infection control
What diagnosis does this patient have?
How do I most effectively treat them?
Does this infection have any other implications for the patient?
Is there anything I need to do to protect the patient in the future?
Could this patient have an infection that has implications for the hospital?
Could other patients be infected from the same source?
Could other patients/staff be infected from this patient?
If yes, how do I prevent these infections?
4. Consult from surgeon, requesting antibiotc advice. 54 yo man, no significant past medical history, no hospitalizations until elective hip replacement 3 months ago. Uncomplicated course. Last month, episode of prostatitis. Presented with hip pain, aspirate grew E. coli. Rx Cipro with some improvement pre-op, had surgery to put spacer in during Rx. Tissue from surgery grows vancomycin resistant E. faecium. 1. What is your advice?
5. Micro results From surgery: 4 tissue specimens and one swab sent BA, McConkey, Chocolate, Thio One tissue specimen Single colony VRE from BA and Chocolate plate Common PFGE type Stool specimen with lab number 20 specimens away with same strain