CBL and EDP in the Biology Classroom. Introduction to C hallenge B ased L earning and the E ngineering D esign P rocess. Presenters Valecia Kelly and James Copeland. Ice Breaker. 1. If you could think of one word or phrase to describe science teaching what would it be?
CBL and EDP in the Biology Classroom
Introduction to Challenge Based Learning and the Engineering Design Process
Presenters Valecia Kelly and James Copeland
1. If you could think of one word or phrase to
describe science teaching what would it be?
2. Write your response on the Index card at
3. Discuss your responses and decide
through voting the best word or phrase
that represents your group.
Presenters James Copeland and Valecia Kelly
What’s the Big Idea?
Kevin Durant and Dewayne Wade
Energy Drinks and Sports Drinks
Read the article on Water Overdose
Design Nutrition Labels for a Line of Sports
Drinks and create a marketing Plan using a Web 2.0 presentation tool.
What questions need to be answered to complete the challenge?
Research: The Story Behind Gatorade
Research Drinks (Jig-Saw)
Design Nutrition Labels for 3 drinks
Select Web 2.0 tool(s) for Marketing Plan
Create Marketing Plan and Present for critique.Make corrections.
Company Name and Logo
2. Animoto Videos
6. Nutrition Labels
Step 1: Ask
1. Identify and Define the workings of the
Mystery Tube (10 mins.)
2. List the properties of the Mystery Tubes
Version A and B.
3. What are the constraints?
Step 2: Imagine
As a round table discussion record
each individuals ideas about how both mystery tubes function on the inside.
Step 3 Plan
1. Individually draw a diagram of how you think the strings on the inside of both the Mystery tubes are organized and attached.
2. Label your diagrams Version A and B
3. Make a list of materials you will need to construct each version.
Step 4: Create
1. Working in pairs decide on which version of the Mystery tube you will build.
2. Gather supplies from the supply table and follow your plan.
YOU HAVE 20 MINS
Step 5: Improve
1. Demonstrate to the class how your groups Mystery Tube functions.
2. Discuss then share out how your Mystery Tube could have worked better and what changes could be made.
We would like to open the floor for any questions or concerns about anything you have learned or observed today.
Review Parking Lot Comments