What is NATO ?. The military alliance that unites the US and European countries. They agree to defend each other from outside threats. ( “ Any attack in Europe or North America against any member is an attack against all ” .) There are currently 28 member nations.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
What is NATO?
1. Security & the Taliban – the Taliban and Afghan militants sill launch regular attacks against Western forces, and the Afghan military and police forces that NATO have been training are not yet prepared to take on responsibility for their own security. Afghan forces depend heavily on Western money as well. If the financial support dries up, there will not be enough troops to secure the country.
2. Security & the Opium Trade: the withdrawal of Western troops may lead to a boom in the heroin market – where the Taliban finds much of its funding. When the US troops withdraw, illicit trafficking will skyrocket.
3. The Economy – the departure of the US from Afghanistan will have a profound effect on the Afghan economy. If international donors pull funding too fast, it could cause economic collapse in Afghanistan as attempts to foster new industries there have yet to bear fruit.
Main Issues of the NATO Summit in Chicago
2. NATO Modernization: most alliance members don’t have the money for new defense spending but the alliance is laboring under the weight of outdated equipment. The alliance risks falling apart if it continues to leave the hardest fighting and biggest bills to the U.S.
3. Missile Defense – the alliance has partly completed a missile defense shield for Europe against possible missile threats from Iran or elsewhere. Russia opposes the system which is largely why Russian President Putin did not attend the summit.