Europe, Africa, and Latin America Study Guide Chapters 1 and 2 – The Fall of Rome and The Development of Feudalism 1. Name 3 factors that led to the fall of the Roman Empire. Empire was too large – its borders were opened to attacks Political instability- Economic problems- high taxes
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
What factor determined your social class? Birth
31. How Americasdid tribute contribute to the success of the Aztecs?
Define tribute: payment made to a ruler to show loyalty or submission
Connection to Aztecs: Conquered people had to make payment of crops or work to rulerin order to show their obedience to the leader.
32. What inventive achievement mastered by the Inca aided them in trade …. communication …. warfare …. control of their empire? Roads and suspension bridges
Describe in detail: The roads and suspension bridges allowed the Inca to control a large empire which was covered by mountains.
33. The mountain range where the Incan society flourished. Andes Mountains
34. A lasting legacy is something that is maintained for generations, even into modern times. What cultural institution did Spain introduce to the New World that remains evident to this day? Christianity explain Many people in the current area still practice Christianity.
35 Many new products crossed the Atlantic Ocean to and from the New World. Which three items in the word box were new to Europe during this trans-Atlantic trade?
fish salt corn pork horses potatoes gold chickens cocoa silver
Complete the following chart:
Spanish conquistador location of conquest name of empire
PizzaroAndes Mountain Region Inca
Cortes (Cortez) Mexico Aztec
35. In order, what were the three early West African kingdoms?
36. What influenced the different types of products West Africans could produce and trade?
The geography of West Africa influenced the types of products produced in each area.
37. What river served as “a trading highway” in West Africa?
38. Why was the process of iron-smelting important to the growth of West African societies?
It gave the communities the ability to create iron tools. Farming became more efficient with the use of iron tools and it made it easier to grow and harvest crops. So they began to have a surplus of crops
Chapter 12 – Ghana: A West African Trading Empire
39. Which geographic feature was a major barrier to trade between West Africa and the regions of North Africa and the Middle East?
40. How did Ghana gain much of its wealth, leading to larger armies and the conquest of new lands?
Trade goods were taxed by the leaders and then the money was used to build large armies to conquer more areas.
41. How have historians learned about the kingdom of Ghana?
We have learned about Ghana through the writings of Arab scholars.
42. Who ruled Ghana’s empire in the 1100’s?
Ghana’s kings were wealthy and powerful because they controlled the gold and trade.
43. Which domesticated animal did Trans-Saharan trade largely depend upon?
Chapter 13 – The Influence of Islam on West Africa
44. Which religious practices were found in West Africa before Islamic influence reached the region?
A. The use of charms
B. Prayer to ancestors
C. Use of traditional languages