Dynamics of the Sexually Abused Child . Foster Parent Training Week 9 October 12, 2012. Sexual Abuse. definition : Sexual abuse is any type of contact with a child for sexual gratification or pleasure. The inducement or coercion of a child to engage in any unlawful sexual activity;
Foster Parent Training
October 12, 2012
Sexual abuse is any type of contact with a child for sexual gratification or pleasure
- The exploitative use of children in pornographic performance and materials”.
Types of Abuse
Pedophiles are individuals who prefer sexual contact with children to adults. They are usually skilled at planning and executing strategies to involve themselves with children. There is evidence to suggest that pedophiles may share their information about children (e.g. child pornography). This can occur at an international level, particularly through the use of the Internet.
What is ‘ unlawful sexual activity;Grooming?’
The child is forced to keep the sexual abuse a secret and initially feels trapped and helpless
Feelings of helplessness lead to accommodative behavior
If disclosure occurs, failure of family to protect and support the child adequately, may lead to retraction of the disclosure.
** Child sexual abuse disclosures are usually a process rather than a single event.
During investigations, victims of child sexual abuse may:
1. Be interviewed on more than one occasion; at different locations (Children’s Advocacy Center)
2. Have to speak to social workers, law enforcement, therapists, attorneys and others
3. Be asked to testify in court against the perpetrator
4. Need to have a physical examination
Prevent Child Abuse Kentucky