1. If a xenophobe is afraid of foreigners, what is a gynophobe afraid of?2. The Greek word for a dog is cuon, cynos. So what is the word for a person who is afraid of dogs?3. The Greek word morph meaning shape can be used as a suffix to give words meaning in the shape
Word Power Made Easy
1. misanthrope- anthropology, philanthropist
2. misogynist- polygyny, polyandry, polygamy
3. xenophobe- xenophobia, racism
2. 1. If a xenophobe is afraid of foreigners, what is a
gynophobe afraid of?
2. The Greek word for a dog is cuon, cynos. So what is
the word for a person who is afraid of dogs?
3. The Greek word morph meaning shape can be used as
a suffix to give words meaning in the shape of; for
example, anthropomorph, something in the shape of a
human being. What shape might a person have if they
were a gynandromorph?
4. The Latin word lingua for tongue or language has
come down to us in several words. If someone who
can speak two languages equally well is called
bilingual, what about someone who can only speak
3. 5. Sophia is the Greek name for skill, learning, wisdom (and
therefore a good name for a girl.) Give the etymology of
CSI: NY, Miami, Las Vegas
The One With George Stephanoloulos (104)
MONICA: Alright. Phoebe? PHOEBE: Okay, okay. If I were omnipotent for a day, I would want, um, world peace, no more hunger, good things for the rain-forest...And bigger boobs!
ROSS: Yeah, see.. you took mine. Chandler, what about you?
CHANDLER: Uh, if I were omnipotent for a day, I'd.. make myself omnipotent forever.
RACHEL: See, there's always one guy. "If I had a wish, I'd wish for three more wishes."
ALL: Hey Joey. Hi. Hey, buddy.
MONICA: Hey, Joey, what would you do if you were omnipotent?
JOEY: Probably kill myself!
MONICA: ..Excuse me?
JOEY: Hey, if Little Joey's dead, then I got no reason to live!
ROSS: Joey, uh- OMnipotent.
JOEY: You are? Ross, I'm sorry.
1. post-, as in postscript, means:
(A) after (B) against (C) write (D) behind
2. poly-, as in polygamy, means:
(A) little (B) normal (C) few (D) many
3. bio-, as in biology, means:
(A) science (B) animal (C) life (D) two
4. mal- as in malevolence, means:
(A) best (B) good (C) bad (D) wrong
5. noct-, as in nocturnal, means:
(A) day (B) late (C) night (D) fear
?????? TOEFL, TOEIC, GEPT, IELTS