2/18 & 2/19 . Absolute LAST DAY FOR 20 TH CENTURY INTERNAL ASSESSMENT ~ Tomorrow 2/19 2 HARD COPIES HANDED TO ME! 1 COPY SUBMITTED VIA EMAIL TO ME! THAT’S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On that note you will have a quiz Thursday 2/20 on Origins of the Cold War . Icebreaker!!!.
1) How did the Cold War start?
2) Two military & political organizations in response to Cold War? Who were the heads?
3) Describe the United Nations. How was it organized?
4) Truman Doctrine-
5) Marshall Plan-
6) US policy toward communism-
7) Why did US, Britain, France, & Soviet Union cooperate during WWII?
Iron Curtain Cartoon
From Stettin in the Balkans, to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lies the ancient capitals of Central and Eastern Europe. -- Sir Winston Churchill, 1946
Buffer between East and West.
Eastern Europe became Soviet satellite nations.
These people were no longer free.
1. Military build-up, particularly of the nuclear type on both sides
2. Intense propaganda campaigns between two camps, try to denigrate each other
3. No successful negotiations between the USA and USSR on issues of mutual concern in Europe or in the rest of the world (iron curtain)
4. Conflict between capitalism and communism found expression in third world situations
5. Tightening of controls within the capitalist and communist camps
6. East-West confrontation came to dominate or condition other conflicts
Disputes over Yalta
Stalin’s fears/concerns: no invasion, resources needed, rebuilding requires control, fear of capitalist encirclement, inevitability of war with capitalists, impossibility of disarmament
- Communist manipulation of elections ensured a communist victory
What to do with Germany?
Division of Germany and Berlin
Germany-Two Countries - 1949
Two Capitols: Bonn and Berlin
Berlin-Deep in Soviet Germany
Berlin Blockade: 24 June 1948 -12 May 1949
Berlin Airlift Begins: June 25, 1948
Lt. Halvorsen dropping candy. He became known as the “candy bomber”.
277,264 flights and 1.5 million tons of aid.
Truman Doctrine: Background
Truman Doctrine 1947
Truman Doctrine: Legacy
Marshall Plan 1948: Rebuild War-torn Europe
Marshall Plan: Legacy
Marshall Plan Aid to Europe 1948-1952